Author Topic: Bridge Crew  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
Bridge Crew
« on: February 20, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before but I would love to see bridge crews. So each ship would have a CO, an XO, and a few others. This would also allow for lower ranks like Ensign or Lieutenant. Its primarily a thing for roleplaying.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Bridge Crew
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
I second this. I never have enough stuff for my Lt. Co.'s to do, and it's just weird for them to start out their careers in charge of a ship. It'd be more fun to have them start out their biography as the weapon's officer on a patrol ship and work their way up to admiral (but of course IRL that apparently rarely happens)
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »
I think I mentioned this circa v4/v5. Or maybe earlier.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested before but I would love to see bridge crews. So each ship would have a CO, an XO, and a few others. This would also allow for lower ranks like Ensign or Lieutenant. Its primarily a thing for roleplaying.
It would be too CPU intensive to have all of those ensigns and lieutenants all being tracked per construction cycle. Lt Commander is the lowest rank in most navies that can 'captain' a ship, therefor it is the lowest rank that is relevant to the game. (Submariner captains in WW2 were mostly Lt.Co, although they were still referred to as 'Captain' when in command.)

I would however like the idea of bridge crews in larger ships

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 05:46:09 PM »
It would be too CPU intensive to have all of those ensigns and lieutenants all being tracked per construction cycle. Lt Commander is the lowest rank in most navies that can 'captain' a ship, therefor it is the lowest rank that is relevant to the game. (Submariner captains in WW2 were mostly Lt.Co, although they were still referred to as 'Captain' when in command.)

I would however like the idea of bridge crews in larger ships
You would add in these extra ranks by adding in extra ranks which is something you can currently do. The only thing that would change is what is now generally Lt. Commander and has 300+ officers at a start of a couple billion population and yet maybe 100 ships at most if you have a lot of civilian ships AND a lot of fighters generally hanging around in PDCs to never be used, you can then put those 300+ officers to work in a realistic posting so in six years they are not massively culled. This idea as I presented it would quite literally not add a single extra officer to be tracked.

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
I second this. I never have enough stuff for my Lt. Co.'s to do, and it's just weird for them to start out their careers in charge of a ship. It'd be more fun to have them start out their biography as the weapon's officer on a patrol ship and work their way up to admiral (but of course IRL that apparently rarely happens)
My thoughts exactly.

Offline swarm_sadist

• Lt. Commander
  • s
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
You would add in these extra ranks by adding in extra ranks which is something you can currently do. The only thing that would change is what is now generally Lt. Commander and has 300+ officers at a start of a couple billion population and yet maybe 100 ships at most if you have a lot of civilian ships AND a lot of fighters generally hanging around in PDCs to never be used, you can then put those 300+ officers to work in a realistic posting so in six years they are not massively culled. This idea as I presented it would quite literally not add a single extra officer to be tracked.
The problem becomes in order to have a decent number of captains, you need to expand the lower ranks in orders of magnitude. Officers usually work at a ratio of 7:1, therefor in order to keep the higher ranks at similar numbers, you would need to have a larger amount of lower ranked officers. EX: You have 300 Lt.Co at the start of a game, so you should have about 2100 Lt as well and almost 15,000 ensigns.

If you simply add ranks into the game (which you can do now) and call them ensign, lieutenant, lieutenant commander and captain, then all you do is get Lt.Co who are called ensigns, and no captains for several years.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
I don't actually care if they do anything "in game', to be perfectly honest. I just wish there was something for them to do, fresh out of the academy, besides vie for control of the 10-15 ships I have that a Lt. Co. can command. The "fleets" option KINDA works but it's not tied to a particular ship.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:08:44 PM by Theodidactus »
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
But with this idea there would be jobs for all those junior officers so you would still have enough to make the senior ones. the junior officers could have positions on the ship similiar to the the staff officers or so. A sensor officer, a tactical officer, supply officer, damage control officer, etc...all filled by junior officers. My last command i was stationed with we had 600 people and my CO was Commander, we had 4 LCDR's, and tons of LT's, JG's and Ensigns. you don't need to similate all them but a few others wouldn't be bad and would be nice for something for your junior officers to do, the stats don't even need to matter or count for bonuses like the staff officers, this could be more for a RP thing. As it is now i have them just in fighters or civilian ships as i don't give my big warships to junior officers. And if i don't have fighters it messes up the balance even more.

Just my thoughts on it.

-Five
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:27:37 PM by Five »

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:29:49 PM »
The problem becomes in order to have a decent number of captains, you need to expand the lower ranks in orders of magnitude. Officers usually work at a ratio of 7:1, therefor in order to keep the higher ranks at similar numbers, you would need to have a larger amount of lower ranked officers. EX: You have 300 Lt.Co at the start of a game, so you should have about 2100 Lt as well and almost 15,000 ensigns.

If you simply add ranks into the game (which you can do now) and call them ensign, lieutenant, lieutenant commander and captain, then all you do is get Lt.Co who are called ensigns, and no captains for several years.

You go into the SM mode and promote some of your guys up a rank or two so you have some captains.

But with this idea there would be jobs for all those junior officers so you would still have enough to make the senior ones. the junior officers could have positions on the ship similiar to the the staff officers or so. A sensor officer, a tactical officer, supply officer, damage control officer, etc...all filled by junior officers. My last command i was stationed with we had 600 people and my CO was Commander, we had 3 LCDR's, and tons of LT's, JG's and Ensigns. you don't need to similate all them but a few others wouldn't be bad and would be nice for something for your junior officers to do. As it is now i have them just in fighters or civilian ships as i don't give my big warships to junior officers. And if i don't have fighters it messes up the balance even more.

Just my thoughts on it.

-Five

I know to make it realistic and simulate ALL junior officers it would be huge but I am not saying that. I am saying have like 5 positions call them bridge crew and do it like Star Trek. I honestly don't care how an actual navy treats junior officers, I don't even care if I have lower ranks called Ensign, they can be called anything for all I care. The negative replies toward this seem based on "Well this is how the actual navy treats junior officers and that would be unwieldy." I don't want to simulate all junior officers, I want a couple officers that I call a bridge crew that acts like the senior officers on a space ship. That is not something we have in this game right now. What we have is one officer per ship.

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »
You go into the SM mode and promote some of your guys up a rank or two so you have some captains.

I know to make it realistic and simulate ALL junior officers it would be huge but I am not saying that. I am saying have like 5 positions call them bridge crew and do it like Star Trek. I honestly don't care how an actual navy treats junior officers, I don't even care if I have lower ranks called Ensign, they can be called anything for all I care. The negative replies toward this seem based on "Well this is how the actual navy treats junior officers and that would be unwieldy." I don't want to simulate all junior officers, I want a couple officers that I call a bridge crew that acts like the senior officers on a space ship. That is not something we have in this game right now. What we have is one officer per ship.

I'm agreeing with you, i like the idea alot. Guess me and writing don't get along and my point was missed.

-Five

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »
I'm agreeing with you, i like the idea alot. Guess me and writing don't get along and my point was missed.

-Five

Its at least partially my fault. I was just kind of lumping you in with Swarm_sadist and only picking up on the parts of your post that were similar.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 06:10:34 AM »
Random thought, have you considered using Flag Bridges and then assigning a task force commander and staff to the most important ships? If you declare the Task Force Commander as CO, the actual ship commander as the XO, and state the Survey/Inteligance/Logistic staff to be junior officers you might end up with most of what you are looking for.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 09:23:34 AM »
this is currently what I do

Offline Sematary (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
I have tried things like that and they work but Flag Bridges are large and I don't want to have to do things like that.