Author Topic: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread  (Read 46257 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bsh

  • Petty Officer
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #780 on: January 01, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Hello and happy new year!
I've been playing a bit with a very long running game (350+ years) yesterday, when all of a sudden the games topped responding for hours. I had to kill the task from task manager.
I guess this corrupted the database (of which I have no backup of... :-X ) because now I'm getting thousands of this error message:
"Error in NPRPopPlanning"
"Error 3021 was generated by DAO.Field
No current record."
When I keep holding the ESC key down for like 5 minutes to dismiss probably many thousands of these error popups, the game continues seemingly fine.
Any chance of this database is somehow fixable without loosing too much (ie. no complete deletion of NPRs or systems, etc.) Since I have no idea how to do it, I'd be happy if someone could try to fix this for me. (Please PM me for the database)

Additional info: after this happened, I started a new game within the same stevefire.mdb, 250 systems, non spoilers, 0 NPRs, and this game is terribly slow right at the start when it should fly. 30day turns used to take only a fraction of a second, now a 5 day turn takes somewhere from 5 to 30 seconds.
 

Offline Detros

  • Commander
  • *********
  • Posts: 388
  • Thanked: 25 times
    • View Profile
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #781 on: January 01, 2018, 03:38:29 PM »
Additional info: after this happened, I started a new game within the same stevefire.mdb, 250 systems, non spoilers, 0 NPRs, and this game is terribly slow right at the start when it should fly. 30day turns used to take only a fraction of a second, now a 5 day turn takes somewhere from 5 to 30 seconds.
One should delete previous games in given DB after making a copy of it, especially after long games. I think that was the case in one of the recent versions which was supplied without usual Steve's game. Those Stevefire.mdb-s are not that big, try to make a copy every few years at least.

Do you notice faster processing after leaving just your current game in Aurora DB?
 

Offline bsh

  • Petty Officer
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #782 on: January 03, 2018, 11:28:06 AM »
One should delete previous games in given DB after making a copy of it, especially after long games. I think that was the case in one of the recent versions which was supplied without usual Steve's game. Those Stevefire.mdb-s are not that big, try to make a copy every few years at least.

Do you notice faster processing after leaving just your current game in Aurora DB?
I tried this yesterday (and made backups of that already broken db). I deleted EVERYTHING from the db. there were three games init: the example game, this broken game, and a new one i just started after the long one broke. after deleting all three games, the db size remained exactly the same as before. created a new game in this now-empty db, with 0 NPRs and no spoilers and nothing, at it was the same slow as before.
so I ended up deleting that db and starting fresh from the stevefire.mdb included in the 5.4 installer, deleted example game from it, started a new one, and it's stupidly fast. gone through alsmost a 100 years in a couple hours of playing yesterday!
edit: I used to have some predictable error messages (e.g. at creation of a survey team), these are now gone. but I did get some serious looking error popups once, something about the db engine cannot readsomething and then the game crashed. but it still runs fine and no error messages so far...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:30:29 AM by bsh »
 

Offline Steve Walmsley

  • Aurora Designer
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Posts: 6620
  • Thanked: 961 times
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
Re: Official v7.10 Bugs Reporting Thread
« Reply #783 on: January 03, 2018, 11:47:18 AM »
I tried this yesterday (and made backups of that already broken db). I deleted EVERYTHING from the db. there were three games init: the example game, this broken game, and a new one i just started after the long one broke. after deleting all three games, the db size remained exactly the same as before. created a new game in this now-empty db, with 0 NPRs and no spoilers and nothing, at it was the same slow as before.
so I ended up deleting that db and starting fresh from the stevefire.mdb included in the 5.4 installer, deleted example game from it, started a new one, and it's stupidly fast. gone through alsmost a 100 years in a couple hours of playing yesterday!
edit: I used to have some predictable error messages (e.g. at creation of a survey team), these are now gone. but I did get some serious looking error popups once, something about the db engine cannot readsomething and then the game crashed. but it still runs fine and no error messages so far...

Make sure you are using the matching Stevefire.mdb and Aurora.exe (from the same version) or you will encounter problems. You can't use the v5.4 DB file with the v7.1 exe.
 

 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52