Author Topic: Stealth, What does it do?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Brian Neumann (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Stealth, What does it do?
« on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »
What does stealth do in version 2.4.  In 2.3 it does not seem to have any function.  It does not reduce either the radar crossection, nor the thermal signature of a ship.  Is this one of those things that has been left behind with the changes to radar and engines?

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »
As you alluded to, Stealth has been left behind a little. In v2.3, the only stealth is thermal reduction for engines. For future versions, I intend to add some special armour types that will be more expensive but reduce the cross-section. I need to remove the existing outdated stealth tech.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Arwyn

• Gold Supporter
  • Commander
  • A
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »
Steve,

If your redoing it, then having something that compliments the existing sensor tech would be neat to see.

Off the top of my head;

Thermal Masking (reduction of heat emissions, modulation of engine emissions to reduce signature)

Thermal Baffles (reduction of heat emissions via advanced cooling, heavy and inefficient)

Stealth Engines (built to reduce/mask engine emissions, at the cost of thrust and acceleration)

Advanced Hull Composites (EM absorbent/reductive composites, expensive!)

Stealth Construction techniques (building hulls to reduce/minimize EM cross section, expensive, expensive to repair/refit)

EM Masking (reduction of EM emissions via electronic measures)

EM Jamming (good old brute force sensor jamming, energy intensive {burns fuel}, short range, and a hell of an EM emitter at long range)

I will try and post more when I can. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arwyn »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:38:05 AM »
Quote from: "Arwyn"
Steve,

If your redoing it, then having something that compliments the existing sensor tech would be neat to see.

Off the top of my head;

Thermal Masking (reduction of heat emissions, modulation of engine emissions to reduce signature)

Thermal Baffles (reduction of heat emissions via advanced cooling, heavy and inefficient)

Stealth Engines (built to reduce/mask engine emissions, at the cost of thrust and acceleration)

Advanced Hull Composites (EM absorbent/reductive composites, expensive!)

Stealth Construction techniques (building hulls to reduce/minimize EM cross section, expensive, expensive to repair/refit)

EM Masking (reduction of EM emissions via electronic measures)

EM Jamming (good old brute force sensor jamming, energy intensive {burns fuel}, short range, and a hell of an EM emitter at long range)

I will try and post more when I can. :)

At the moment, there is a line of engine tech that increases the cost of an engine but reduces the thermal signature, so that covers one of the above. The EM signature is more difficult because the EM signature is based solely on shield strength. The best way for a ship to be stealthly vs EM sensors is to keep its shields inactive. GPD sensors detect active sensor emissions so as with modern naval warfare, engaging active sensors may give away your position.

Finally, active sensors are based on cross-section so as you suggest above, some type of hull material that absorbs active sensor emissions or a different method of construction that reduces cross-section. I have had a look at the former but not the latter. For the former, I have not yet decided between some type of stealth armour or an additional stealthly coating. The potential issue with stealthy armour is that there are twelve types of armour and if there are several different levels of stealth, we could end up with a LOT of different armour types, although I am not sure if that is really a problem. The alternative is a second 'armour' layer that would offer no protection and require much less hull space that normal armour but would reduce the cross-section and would probably be expensive. There would be a tech line for different levels of this stealth-coating. A different construction method would probably involve reshaping the hull to make it more stealthly but would result in a reduction in internal space.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
You could also have a shield tech that reduces its "EM signal" strength without reducing its effectiveness...

Thus you could have heavyier shields but look like they are lighter... :-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »