Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 350837 times)

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #2115 on: March 29, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
Why would that matter?

Because it's hard to have intricate trust-based conversations if you can't even stand in the same room and read each others' facial expressions.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2116 on: March 29, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Tell that to my methane breathing viking crab people.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2117 on: March 29, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »
Why would that matter?

Because it's hard to have intricate trust-based conversations if you can't even stand in the same room and read each others' facial expressions.

Just because we can stand in the same room, doesn't mean you can read my (species') facial experessions.  Or even know which part is my face.

The following users thanked this post: DIT_grue

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #2118 on: March 29, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
Sure, but that's already covered by the fact that diplomacy's hard in the first place.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2119 on: March 30, 2020, 01:36:45 AM »
Why would that matter?

Just because we can stand in the same room, doesn't mean you can read my (species') facial experessions.  Or even know which part is my face.

I would say that ALL species that reach the stars is in some form or another social species and will need physical communication to some degree. Therefore physical interaction no matter the differences might be quite important. If you can understand and learn how each other work then diplomacy can become so much more fruitful.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:56:55 AM by Jorgen_CAB »

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #2120 on: March 30, 2020, 01:52:10 AM »
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.  I think we can all agree that the easiest solution here it to just kill all xeno scum.  Laser fire needs no introduction.

The following users thanked this post: clement, Zincat, papent, Alsadius

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #2121 on: March 30, 2020, 04:09:10 AM »
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please.  I think we can all agree that the easiest solution here it to just kill all xeno scum.  Laser fire needs no introduction.

If force is not solving your problem, you aren't using enough of it.

The following users thanked this post: clement, TheRowan

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2122 on: March 30, 2020, 05:41:06 AM »
Yes, that looks much better, both for single contacts and groups

Just my 2c on this: A small two or three pixel separation after each race (when there is more than one entry in a block) would be the final perfection of this display...  :D

Offline Inglonias

• Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #2123 on: March 30, 2020, 10:38:52 AM »
This is probably something for after the first release, but it was cool enough that I wanted to bring it up. You know how every race has a picture associated with them in the race details page? I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing for ships that we design, or ships that we see in the alien intel window. Basically, just have the option to attach a JPEG image to each ship class we design so that we can have a visual reference if we like.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:40:40 AM by Inglonias »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2124 on: March 30, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
This is probably something for after the first release, but it was cool enough that I wanted to bring it up. You know how every race has a picture associated with them in the race details page? I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing for ships that we design, or ships that we see in the alien intel window. Basically, just have the option to attach a JPEG image to each ship class we design so that we can have a visual reference if we like.

It's possible and I've considered it in the past. The problem is most people wouldn't have images for their ships so it would just be a blank area. It can be hard to find sci-fi ship pictures with a common theme, beyond Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2125 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »

It's possible and I've considered it in the past. The problem is most people wouldn't have images for their ships so it would just be a blank area. It can be hard to find sci-fi ship pictures with a common theme, beyond Star Trek, Star Wars, etc.

Would it be possible to have this in two ways.

Firstly so we have a different graphic on the galaxy map for different races, having this allow us to choose the picure would be ideal (in addition could we also have the option to manually change the race graphics for both NPR's in addition to our own).

Secondly have a default image that we choose to start with for our own ships, then allow it to be manually changed on a class by class basis if we choose to.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2126 on: March 30, 2020, 01:10:15 PM »
That would be cool. I'm gathering ships for a RPG campaign myself (low tech) and there is a surprisingly high number of images available over the internet.

If by default this is the racial ship image, no harm done, right? Then you can perhaps add images on a 'category' basis and if you have a lot of images, you'll add images on a ship class basis. Now, Steve won't be able to add them officially as most will be copyrighted I guess.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:58:55 PM by vorpal+5 »

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #2127 on: March 30, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »

If you have GalCiv you can build your own and import them into Aurora... I would love to do that to be honest...   ;)

I'm pretty sure the community could come up with enough basic ship sets to satisfy most... at least some generic art to be placed there based on hull type or something.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #2128 on: March 30, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »
@Jorgen_CAB
in additional to designing our own shipsets, we could use the vast amount of shipsets the space empires community has built over the years.

in addition it would be a bonding of two cadet branches of the Starfire dynasty. as it was concisely noted by sloanjh
Historical note:  I'm 99% certain that SE4 is a "sibling" of Aurora, in that both of them got their start with StarFire.  If you look at SE functionality, naming and timing (10 years after Starfire 2nd edition), it would be an amazing coincidence (hence only 99%) if SF wasn't a motivation for SE.  On the other side, I'm not sure if you're aware that the underlying engine for Aurora started off as "StarFire Assistant", until Steve decided to go write his own game (Aurora).
-snipped-
John

EDIT: sorry quarantine and too much crusader kings 2 on my mind.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline bombastico

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #2129 on: March 31, 2020, 06:35:04 AM »
Hi Steve!
I'm a fan, player and long-time lurker. . .
Of the aspects of the game "explore-expand-exploit-exterminate" I like more the first two and I would know if there are plans to develop the aspect of colony managing and keep colonies happy, flourishing and healthy.