Author Topic: Displayed Data in Battle  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Displayed Data in Battle
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:59:53 AM »
How accurate is what shows up on the "counter" when you are looking at the battle?   In the battle for HIP 51317 the inbound missiles when I zoomed in on them where shown to be coming from a bearing of 270° which was considerably different then the bearing of the ships that are assumed to have launched them (the Hiyru's).

Can I trust that bearing of 270° accurately reflects the inbound bearing of the missiles?

As the missiles inbound for the Hiyru's detected a missile as they flew through each other I am wondering if it is just a reporting error or if there may have been other ships launching missiles while the Hiyru's played the stalking horse.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Displayed Data in Battle
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
In my experience, when you pick up something new, be it missile or ship, the "tail" does very often not show the correct direction, the contact is moving from. Sometimes, the speed is off too. But when you track the contact for another 5 second interval, this sorts out and from then on, everything it shows is correct.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »
ahh..well I could only detect them 5 s out so probably this is why the bearing was showing nonsense.  Thanks.

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:20:21 AM »
Another question...the time displayed on your missiles...is that the fuel remaining or the time to target?

From what I can tell it is fuel remaining but I'd like confirmation.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:12 AM »
ramaining endurance.  (ie fuel)
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Paul M (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:07 AM »
Thanks Charlie...when I first saw the time on the missile icon my mind said "that can't be right" but I let it go as I had other things to worry about.  But given the behavior of the missiles (they all ended up in one place but still showed times) it dawned on me belatedly that the time shown on the missile icon was nearly exactly what the missile endurance/fuel was.  I need to change the numbers in my AAR though...the time to target was around 42 min for the first missile and ~30 min for the last one launched.