Author Topic: NPR ships vanishing?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline formicae (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • f
NPR ships vanishing?
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
In my first game with actual spacefaring NPRs, I'm seeing some AI behavior that I'm having trouble understanding.

We made first contact when they came into Sol, and every few months or so they'll send a ship in to visit Earth.  They'll just sit there (either next to my Luna colony or 10,000 km off Earth) for about half a day of 60-second increments, without either of us being the first to shoot, and then vanish.  Based on my passive and active sensors, the only way I can think of that they could have left without me seeing them leave is if they managed to make the normally-several-day journey to and through a JP within 60 seconds, so the only thing I can think of that they're doing in game-mechanics terms is that they're deleting their ship.

Is there anything else they might be doing, and if they are sending in ships and deleting them, is that a bug?

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
Re: NPR ships vanishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
What are the detection ranges of your passives/actives? Could it just be that the NPR ship left your sensor range within one increment and so they disappeared from your display?

Offline formicae (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
Well, the AI began behaving more reasonably (visiting Earth and then leaving) after I restarted the game (tangential question: is it necessary to quit to copy the DB and get a clean save file, or can I just copy Stevefire. mdb while Aurora is running?), so I'm leaning towards guessing that this was a bug.

But my passives had been tracking it from outside Saturn's orbit (that was EM; I'm doing some rough math and I think I'd have had at least about 50m km range on thermals), my actives (the R1 ones I had on) had a range of 7. 6m km, and I saw it at less than 2000 km/s (I've since learned from espionage that they're using nuclear pulse engines).

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:45 AM »
As long as you are not actively writing to the database, you should be able to copy it. Look at the Aurora backup utility in the Installs forum. And I think the portable wrapper copies it also.