Author Topic: Using one Shipyard for Multiple Designs  (Read 1814 times)

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Using one Shipyard for Multiple Designs
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:42:25 PM »
Am I right in the following assumption:

When you design several ships which can be build by one Shipyard, the Subclasses do cost you the same amount of resources as when you would produce them in a tooled Shipyard, but due to the increased amount of BP they would simply take longer to be build?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Using one Shipyard for Multiple Designs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »
The time a ship takes to build has no relation to the shipyard at all; only the ship's tonnage, the empire shipbuilding tech, and shipbuilding bonus from governors matter.    You can see the time a ship takes to build (aside from governor bonuses) in the class design screen - at the bottom left, iirc.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 03:53:03 AM »
I thought all values are summarized in the BP - and that determines how long the construction time will be - of course depending upon what the construction rate of the shipyards are. My question is the difference in time between constructing a ship on a slipway designed for the type of ship versus construction on a slipway which is designed for a differenty type but can build this class as a subclass. Since the BP will be larger for the subclass than on a normal slipway, it should take longer for the ship to be build - at least if I am not mistaken.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 04:18:29 AM »
Yes, the build time is just the BP cost divided by the construction rate. The BP cost of a different class of ship which is buildable in the same shipyard might be either higher or lower than the BP cost of the primary design, and the construction time will change accordingly.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
The shipyard doesn't matter directly; the only BP the shipyard has directly is its modification rate (for increasing tonnage etc.)  Ship construction times depend completely on the ship, tech, and governor modifiers. If you build a 1000 ton FAC in a 100,000 ton naval shipyard, the construction will take the same amount of time as if you built the FAC in a 1000 ton shipyard.

Only the tonnage of the DESIGN affects the annual build rate.  The slip has nothing to do with it. 

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Shipyards#Shipbuilding

The shipbuilding rate is:
Normal shipbuilding rate x (1+(((Class Size / 100) - 1)/2))

So for a 10,000 ton ship, with a build rate technology of 560 bp, you would have

560 *(1+(((200/100)-1)/2))
560 * 1.5
840 ABR.

You would get this build rate, times governor bonuses, no matter what variant the ship is and no matter what size shipyard it is in.

It does not matter what the shipyard is tooled to, the tooling only determines what ships are valid to build at the shipyard and has no impact on build rates at all.

Offline TMaekler (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 02:15:59 PM »
I am confused. If I understand you correctly, it does not matter if I build a ship of Type A in a shipyard tooled for it vs a shipyard that is tooled for another ship but allows also building Type A it would take the same amount of time? According to that the only function of the 25% additional BP od module difference and the 10% additional BP of Tonnage difference is to minimize the difference calculation between total BP of the two compared shiptypes, right?

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:16 PM »
Correct. The only thing the limits do is control which alternate classes can be built at a given shipyard. It's no slower to build a class X ship at a shipyard where it's an alternate than at a shipyard where it's a primary.

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler