Author Topic: Aurora C# Screenshots  (Read 143866 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Aurora C# Screenshots
« on: March 16, 2016, 07:10:29 PM »
I'm created this thread to show a few screenshots of C# Aurora as I progress. I have made a lot of progress on the Tactical Map and while it isn't finished, there is enough to provide some idea of what C# Aurora will look like. Bear in mind this is only one window and this is just displaying the current database, not running a turn. However, you could run this alongside Aurora and use it to view the map (which is what I am doing now). All the various display options work so you can toggle on and off.

Also all the systems, fleets, etc are loaded in memory so the swap between systems views is now instant.

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Aurora C# Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »
Here are some of the sidebar views. I believe they are improved on current Aurora. Clicking on any Fleet, Ship, Star, System body, etc. will centre the map on that location. The military view can be used to view the forces in the system, or all forces. This is also instant as everything is in memory.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Zed 6, Marski, Kolyin, goaowonk, steili, Shiwanabe, Steven Wargames

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 07:20:55 PM »
SM Mode and Auto Turns are now shown as a crystal ball and on/off switch in the tool bar - this makes it easier to see when they are on/off.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Zed 6, Marski, Kolyin, goaowonk, Shiwanabe, Agoelia

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »
And a couple of Sol system shots

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Zed 6, Marski, Kolyin, goaowonk, Shiwanabe, Steven Wargames, SimonS3

Offline ardem

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 08:26:34 PM »
Wow looks so nice Steve,

How you in the future going to handle the database, you moving to a SQL platform or something else.

The following users thanked this post: Kolyin

Offline Felixg

• Chief Petty Officer
  • F
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »
That is awesome! Very happy to see things are progressing well on the C# front!

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
What? Wow I thought this was abandoned. Looks great.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:22:18 AM »
Interesting. It would resolve some compatibility issues with modern windows systems. Is there are is any time frame for this and any other short-term goals beside VB to C# code convert?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:24:08 AM by Mor »

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:41 AM »
great works, Steve ! And few question about interface.

1.  Sysem map  can zoom by mouse wheel ?
2.  System map can scroll by mouse moving with left(right) button pressed ?
3.  Can mouse select any object on system map for track him (showing always in centre of screen) ?
4.  Do you planning create Popup menus on any map objects with possible action to this objects ?  Planet - colonize, show industres window, show detail info, Task group - set current orders, show TG window, show ordnance and etc ?
5.  New system map included to 7. 20 path ? :)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 03:40:23 AM »
What? Wow I thought this was abandoned. Looks great.

This is a new project. I started 3-4 weeks ago so I have made more progress than I expected by this stage.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 03:41:23 AM »
Interesting. It would resolve some compatibility issues with modern windows systems. Is there are is any time frame for this and any other short-term goals beside VB to C# code convert?

No specific time-frame - will depend on my level of enthusiasm but I hope months, not years.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 03:43:16 AM »
great works, Steve ! And few question about interface.

1.  Sysem map  can zoom by mouse wheel ?
2.  System map can scroll by mouse moving with left(right) button pressed ?
3.  Can mouse select any object on system map for track him (showing always in centre of screen) ?
4.  Do you planning create Popup menus on any map objects with possible action to this objects ?  Planet - colonize, show industres window, show detail info, Task group - set current orders, show TG window, show ordnance and etc ?
5.  New system map included to 7. 20 path ? :)

1, 2, 3 will be added, 4 probably similar to current Aurora and this version will be 7.2 functionality at least.

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Kolyin

Offline littleWolf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • l
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 03:51:07 AM »

With some global modification in mechanics and interface its no 7. 2, its 8. 0 version of Aurora:)

And. .  I have a month not playing in Aurora in anticipation of the new version :).

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:03:16 AM by littleWolf »

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:14:31 AM »
These all look great.

Since you are doing the graphical parts right now, I think it is the right time to make a small request.

I usually keep the events window always open and to the front, and I don't think I'm the only one. In fact, I find it invaluable and impossible to do without. That way as time goes by I see what events take place and such.

To reduce switching between windows, could we have a time-advancing button on the event window as well? So that, when there is an interrupt for something we don't want to change or don't care about, we can just press this "ok, go ahead with the same time settings" button.

Also another question. Do you think you will implement multi-core support in any way or shape? I imagine that just switching to C# will have a great impact on performance, but I am curious to know if you plan to take things further.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 06:20:17 AM »
Does this mean that C# Aurora's turn times take the same amount of time on turn one and turn 5813259? Does this mean that the game won't slow down the longer you play?

That is something I've always wanted the most of this game