Author Topic: Eclipse Phase campaign -how to ?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline starburst (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
Eclipse Phase campaign -how to ?
« on: March 24, 2016, 07:13:22 PM »
Hi All,
Just fairly new to Aurora.  .  (have no idea why I never came across it since I used to play starfire around 81 and was playing rpgs like space opera, aftermath, many FGU, GDW and SPI wargames and rpgs.  .  etc around from around 79.  .  .  .  .  how did I miss this !!). 

I recently got back in to the Pen/Ppr RPG scene with Eclipse Phase and I was wondering how one might go about reproducing
the situation as a starting game state in Aurora. 

For any of you that are familiar with Eclipse Phase, I'd appreciate how I can duplicate the transhuman / morph species- start, in a fully settled sol with the obvious exception of Earth as it's apparently uninhabitable, run over by ai's .  .  etc

The jumpgate systems are all a no brainer, and the evil extra galactic invaders and many other features (like the alien race the Factors) are all a no-brainer fitting into aurora, but it's how to deal with the starting setup of sol, the various factions, transhumanism, AI's etc.  .  (The Factors alien  race will also be a headache I should think)

So for those of you who know what the "hell on earth" I'm taking about re: an Eclipse Phase universe, I would welcome ANY
ideas about tackling it in Aurora. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:20:34 PM by starburst »

Offline misora

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • m
Re: Eclipse Phase campaign -how to ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »
Hm, I recently picked up eclipse phase as well. It's an amazing TTRPG. I would set Earth's Radiation and Atmospheric dust to insane levels, maybe add a ruin to it. Start out with a lot of the research point production techs done(To simulate Mentons, Hyperbrights, Savants, etc.). Have several factions, with small pop, but massive economic income modifiers. You would also give them all the genetic modification techs, because Eclipse Phase is one of the few Sci-fi universes with a masters degree in reality.

Offline starburst (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
Thanks misora, appreciate this

Quote from: misora link=topic=8472.  msg88357#msg88357 date=1458868399
Hm, I recently picked up eclipse phase as well.   It's an amazing TTRPG.   I would set Earth's Radiation and Atmospheric dust to insane levels, maybe add a ruin to it.   Start out with a lot of the research point production techs done(To simulate Mentons, Hyperbrights, Savants, etc.  ).   Have several factions, with small pop, but massive economic income modifiers.   You would also give them all the genetic modification techs, because Eclipse Phase is one of the few Sci-fi universes with a masters degree in reality. 

"Masters degree in reality" .  .   I like it :)

I had already decided that ALL genetics had to be developed or it falls apart; having said that though, how on earth does one account for the morphs.   I know for pop growth it can easily be accounted for since bio morphs are grown.   Nice thing about the synth morphs is they fit well into the automated factories, etc being put down on planets. 
The genetic adaptations are so off the chart in some circumstances, it'll be a challenge.   (Hell, there's exsurgent xenomorphs on Venus and uplifts living in the Sun's corona ! ref:Sunward)

I agree with your suggestion re Earth atmos.   One real issue I see, I'd have to discover how to make sure no Civilian Industry tried to resettle Earth until cleared.   I suppose you could give it a dangerous gas mechanic wise but then that's a bit silly since one's mastered all the genetic tech.   The real reason is not just the climate but the nano swarms and Exsurgent virus strains. 

As per ruins, I was thinking about your suggestion and I would probably select "Deserted intact cities" , the level 10 option in the wiki under Ruins (can't get the hyperlink to work in this editor) ;I assume that would mean a large quantity mechanic wise.   Also need to make sure they would actually have a very high risk of uncovering a Vault.   
Interesting thinking how to make the game flag Earth as hideously dangerous.   Wonder if one can make it a requirement to have excavated all ruins (can you put more than one down ?) before you can even attempt to resettle.   Imagine having to destroy several Vaults ! .  .  ( lots of dead xenology teams and construction brigades !)

I was thinking about The Factors (aliens) also and that's been put in "the way worry about that later" basket for me.   Defining them in Aurora will be tough (totally organic, don't need jump drives and likely want to assimilate us). 

I also wonder if there's a way to "lock" a jump (pandora) gate and/or have a transit occasionally go random. 

Might be way too ambitious but down the track I'd like to build a whole Aurora/Eclipse campaign universe  if I can get my head around how to do it. 
 I have a lot of Aurora SM delving ahead of me I think. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 10:36:56 PM by starburst »

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:32:15 AM »
Maybe you could simulate these nano swarms etc with some hostile ground forces occupying Earth's surface? You could even go as far as making some beam (meson) PDC's to allow these swarms to attack any ships that get too close to the Earth.