Author Topic: It's quiet...too quiet  (Read 2283 times)

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
It's quiet...too quiet
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »
I'm in my 18th Year of the Technocratic Empire, around 8 systems opened up and...
Nothing.
Not a wreck, not a blip not aliens nor ruins. It's exceptionally, and worryingly, quiet.
Anyone else had a game like this?
Australia, home of the over-paid minion

I play Eve! Message Suzanne Winters for a friend :D

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: It's quiet...too quiet
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
I'm 42 years into my current game and have about 21 systems probed (yeah I'm slow xD), and only in the 21st did I encounter anything alive. At the start there was a minefield and some wrecks, but never something unabandoned or ruins.

Happens occasionally.

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
I like games like that actually

I played a very slow (deliberately) game once: I was in 1 system for more than a quarter century, then confined to 5 systems for another quarter century, then there was a big war, then there was another one, then I began pushing out into space and didn't encounter anything for another quarter century. I just got to 100+ years and I've only had sustained contact with aliens for a decade an a half...it makes things more fun, cause, you know, when you discover aliens that a big holy poop moment for your entire civilization.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »
8 systems isn't actually that many for being pretty quiet. Most systems won't have stuff in them, and by default you only even have a 30% chance of generating a new non-player race even if the system has a habitable world. 

You could try jacking up the NPR percentage, or even manually placing an NPR species. :)

Offline Maharava (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:28:46 AM »
8 systems isn't actually that many for being pretty quiet.

Really? My last three games had Hostiles one system over D:
Aurora must have hated me XD
Australia, home of the over-paid minion

I play Eve! Message Suzanne Winters for a friend :D

Offline Cocyte

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • C
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
50 years elapsed, 60 systems discovered.
only 8 of those had some spoilery stuff, and I've just encountered my first full fledged alien race... which is a backward land-warring one :s
I clicked 3 times on the "add extra NPR" button to try fighting boredom.

Offline Jacob/Lee

• Lt. Commander
  • (Where I got this .gif beats me!)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »
There are games where you can discover dozens of systems and never hit a single foreign craft... Or games where you can go through one of the Sol points and immediately get attacked by the Swarm. The worst middle ground is when you search systems but don't do a good scouting run of them, like me, and your freighters or civilians are ambushed later on.

Offline MagusXIX

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
In my current game I have 10 systems explored and not a peep.

But I changed the way NPRs work to having 2 starting NPRs and a 0% generation chance.  The galaxy is only 300 stars (100 stars each, assuming we explore and colonize at equal rates.)  I also have precursors and swarm turned on but no sign of them yet, either.

In my previous game my home system was invaded by Invaders the moment I left Sol.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:33:05 AM »
Every game is different, but in general it is a very quiet game.  I found the earlier versions to be much more active.   My current game is about 60 systems explored.   2 NPR's,  4 systems with a handful of robot spoilers.    I even turned up my NPR generation rate to 70%, just to try and get some life.   No swarms yet.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
If it bothers you, you can try deleting useless quiet systems so they can be regenerated :)

If you have an SM race, I would suggest manually creating new NPRs rather than using "Add Extra NPR'.  Create a new random system, deleting it if it doesnt have a planet you can make habitable. Continue until you have a habitable planet.  Then use the 'create new empire' function to make a NPR race on that planet. The reason for this is that you can then use Specify Minerals on the planet to insure that the NPR does not run out of critical minerals and become Totally Gimped. 

If you do this with your actual race instead of a futzed SM Race of some kind, you run into the problem of 'knowing' about the NPRs system already as your primary race. 

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
Every Game..is different.

150 Yrs-game - 2 Hostile, 1 Allied, 12 Systems with Robot Guardian , 221 System Quietly..

others games,very different : 25 Yrs-game : 0 hostile , 1 only Robotic..45 System Explored,nothing.

This "Simulation" goes very different for anyone.