Author Topic: Hi! And a question...  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Malligant (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Hi! And a question...
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Just downloaded the game and I am really getting into the complexity of it.
Now I am using this as inspiration for building some 3d models of spacey ships, you know a bit of fun!
However I am coming to realise this game has a strange effect on you. 
Currently I am building the ships with spin sections for long distance comfort, but I am wondering when artificial gravity comes into effect, possibly tying it into the development of a certain technology?
What do you guys think?

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Hi! And a question...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 03:57:40 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by your question. You mean like adding another technology into the game?
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
I think he just means when does artificial gravity occur in the fiction.
I think it's very interesting that Steve chose terminology for his fictional engine techs from real-world proposals for interestellar propulsion.  If you look at Wikipedia you can't help but notice "nuclear pulse", "inertial confinement fusion", etc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_travel#Propulsion

Since these are really just rocket concepts, I wouldn't assume any of them implied the discovery of a way to manipulate gravity.  Therefore, I don't think artificial gravity would emerge in Aurora at all.  If it did, it would probably be there from the discovery of trans-Newtonian physics, whatever that is.

Offline Malligant (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Yup, its entirely cosmetic, basically, when can I think about removing the spin section on my 3d ship designs.

Although on another note, I was curious about how a 10,000 ton destroyer can be lifted fro ma slipway on Earth into Low orbit without anti grav?

Its true the engines are definitely not anti grav based, but I was wondering if development of a different tech might point that way? say some form of hyper drive enhancement or jump drive?
being as I have played this game all for a few days only! and have very little idea what to expect tech wise!

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:39:35 PM »
The intention is for the shipyards to already be in orbit, so no need for the ship to lift off from the ground.  :)

Offline Malligant (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
Aw Man! and I just spent so long designing a closed system gas core nuclear powered lifting rocket to hurl my 2000 ton Survey ships into space!

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:25:09 PM »
Well, come to think of it, I think the idea of TN technology is that your ships move through space as if through water.  There's no reason to assume this would work in interplanetary space but not work in the atmosphere (except for friction, drag, etc).  So presumably a TN ship can take off from a planetary shipyard under its own power.  This also explains how 40,000 ton freighters can drop things off and pick things up from a planet without a spaceport... they simply land and take off.

However, this still does not explain artificial gravity in a ship.  The ship itself can move in defiance of gravity, but that doesn't mean the same tech can create artificial gravity to pull other objects toward it (like pulling the crew toward the floor).  On the other hand, the game has tractor beams which seem to do just that.  Perhaps tractor beam tech is what you're looking for?

Also note that TN ships do seem to be affected by black holes but I haven't seen one yet so I'm not sure how they are affected.

Offline Malligant (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
Thats a great idea!. . .  I'll use tractor tech as the benchmark for non rotary habitat sections on my ships.

As to the massive trade ships, I always presumed the cost would include needed shuttles?

I must admit I do like the idea of in the early part of the game hurling finished hulls into Low Earth orbit to be fitted out with the rest of their equipment.

I think tractor tech is also a good benchmark for gravity resist generators for ships to.  (and will look to fit at least one on ships to simulate this!)

Many thanks joeclark77