Author Topic: how long do bouys/mines last?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
how long do bouys/mines last?
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
Does a bouy or mine need fuel or something to determine how long it lasts?  Or do they last indefinitely?
Can anybody give me a sample design for a sensor bouy?  For a mine?

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
Re: how long do bouys/mines last?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:00:58 AM »
In 6.0+ bouys last indefinitely. That is, any missile without an engine.

A sensor bouy is just a sensor+reactor of whatever size your bouy launcher is. Larger is of course better, but more expensive (though bouys are generally so cheap it doesn't matter), and requires more space for launcher and magazine. I suggest different designs for EM, thermal, and active. The most use is as an early warning system. A thermal/active sensor on an inbound JP will spot any ships coming through, or it'll die and warn you by absence. A tactic I've used is to stick a size 1 launcher and a few magazines on my gravsurvey ships. They can then drop geosurvey bouys on interesting looking planets, and EWS on JPs, without requiring a dedicated ship.

A mine is a sensor and a bunch of submunitions with the same sensor. Mnes are mostly used for defending JPs. Because the enemy usually won't have any missile defense working when they're shot, the submunitions can have more warhead and less armor tan a typical missile. Both mine and submunitions tend to be large, in order to minimize the space used for the sensors, and again, because they're unlikely to get shot down. The mine sensor should be a bit more than the enemy's squad jump range. The submunitions sensor can be smaller.

The only mine I've really ever used looked like this:

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
I've never made mines myself because I've been unsure just how powerful the sensor needs to be, I'm sure I could probably just check sensor range using the system map. 
I should probably go through the wiki, There must be something there.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:30:44 AM »
Quote from: Steve
Missiles that have sensors will now remain on the map forever, with two exceptions:

a) If a missile has geo sensors and no other type of sensor, it will self-destruct when the geosurvey of its target planet is completed.
b) If a missile has a warhead, it will self-destruct when its fuel runs out.

From the v6 changes thread

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 06:48:15 AM »
Don't count on the wiki being up to date...it's not.  It's a good starting point, but a search of the forum to verify more recent information is always a good idea.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline joeclark77 (OP)

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »
I'm interested in doing something like what Arwyn did in this thread posted a year ago: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,4617.0.html

Arwyn used a multi-stage missile to launch a mine from a PDC-based launcher.  The first stage would travel to the waypoint and (apparently) sit there until it detected a target, at which point it would launch the submunition.  My question is about the first stage in particular... since it has fuel and an engine, would it not expire once the fuel is out?  Or would it sit at the waypoint and stop using fuel once it arrived at its destination?  Would I need a three-stage missile in this case?