Author Topic: Help with Turrets  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Help with Turrets
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
I designed a new turret and noticed something odd when adding it to a ship design, when it is added it appears as this.

Avery Twin Meson Turret MR-180/12 (1x2)    Range 0km     TS: 11000 km/s     Power 12-10     RM 18    ROF 10        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

However When I designed the turret it had a maximum range of 180.000km. Is there a reason why it is showing now as 0km range? Also do they only function in point defence or can I use them in a similar way to other beam weapons?

I could not see anywhere in the wiki that gives a lot of info regarding turrets and their design and use so if someone could give me a link to any real information it would be very useful thanks.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: Help with Turrets
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:10:22 PM »
Does your ship have a Beam Fire Control yet? Beam weapons show a range of their maximum range or the Beam Fire Control range, whichever is shorter. If there is no beam fire control that would explain the range of 0.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:46 PM »
Does your ship have a Beam Fire Control yet? Beam weapons show a range of their maximum range or the Beam Fire Control range, whichever is shorter. If there is no beam fire control that would explain the range of 0.

;D That would be the issue, I mistook my missile fire control and couldn't understand why it was not working for the turret.......

Now that issue is solved does it mean my turret will function for all the same purposes as for a standard beam weapon? For example using my own turret will it function just like a meson cannon with a tracking speed of 11000k/s and with a maximum range of 180km?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 11:39:48 PM »
Yes, the only difference between normal energy/kinetic weapons and those mounted in turrets is that the turrets can be armoured, and their tracking speed isn't limited by the speed of the vessel they're mounted on, also the tracking speed can be increased as much as needed by increasing size of the rotation gear. This makes them extremely useful for point defence or against fighters/FACs.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
Noticed today while designing a turret that two things determine the HTK number, firstly if the turret is single/twin/triple/quad and secondly the armour rating. How does this effect meson fire? On the one hand the turret has no actual armour value or chart so there is nothing to be skipped thus I would imagine it simply works and allows turrets to be armoured against mesons, but is that the case mesons are meant to be perfect weapons for hitting internal systems?

Iranon

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
Mesons are assumed to materialise inside the ship, bypassing external protection only.  They are one of the bigger reasons to use armoured component rather than putting the weight in the belt.