Author Topic: Civilian ship launching  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Civilian ship launching
« on: July 08, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
Hello there. I recently designed a 120k ton superfreighter but don't have any shipyard capable of building it, do i need a shipyard of sufficient size to build one for cvilia lines to launch one? I've been dishing out incentives fr civvie shipping as my current directly controlled shipping methods leave rather alot to be desired so i've been trying to get civilians to take up the slack, however they only seem interested in contracts to one system besides sol, it's causing a bit of a headache for me. Any help would be wonderful.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Civilian ship launching
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 05:35:49 PM »
do i need a shipyard of sufficient size to build one for cvilia lines to launch one?
This was originally my assumption, but I have seen civs build ships bigger than shipyard capacity.

As far as getting to outer colonies, there needs to be more civ ships to take up all the other available contracts unfortunately.

Offline nafaho7

• Chief Petty Officer
  • n
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:49:19 PM »
  Civilian commercial shipping is built entirely independently from your Imperial shipbuilding capacity.  It is my understanding that there are essentially invisible Civilian shipyards which are considered to be responsible for all purely Civilian construction.  These shipyards start out at the standard size for a new Commercial Yard, and must be expanded to an appropriate size before laying down new construction.  This is one of the reasons Civilian Shipping Lines appear to be spending money without producing ships.  A commonly used strategy is to design a freighter around a specific cargo capacity.  Generally, the standard cargo capacity is 5 Cargo Holds.  Having 5 cargo holds allows an individual freighter to haul an entire installation of normal size, which prevents unfortunate problems with rounding errors.  I have experienced this particular problem myself, and found it rather vexing.   Larger freighter designs generally contain integer multiples of 5 Cargo Holds, for the same reasons.
  As a side note, I prefer to design a freighter with 5 Cargo Holds, and some arbitrary speed in mind, such as 5000 kilometers per second.  As the March of Progress continues onwards, I can design a lighter ship with the same capabilities, which allows existing shipping lines to produce new ships even more quickly.  Holding some arbitrary, but high, speed in the design also means that even older designs will serve your purposes perfectly well.  And never forget, that researching Power Gains at the expense of Fuel Efficiency can prove marvelous when designing a purely Civilian freighter.  After all, Civilian ships don't consume fuel.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
I made the mistake of making a colony ship designed to be towed by a tug- no engines. Didn't realize I should have marked it "obsolete" to prevent civilians from building it, because they built one or two. Gotta feel sorry for the tens of thousands of civilians in stasis floating in orbit around the planet who thought they were bound for Mars. (Reminds me a bit of part of a certain book by Douglas Adams.)
Living up to my username. . .