Author Topic: All the different planetary battle support options in one place  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
I made this so that the various ways we can support / enhance the ground combat in C# would all be in one place and easily checked.

First of all, if you just want to glass a planet, you can commit Planetary Bombardment:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg107703#msg107703
This is part of normal space combat, in which:
* Missiles are a fast way to destroy everything, cause Nuclear Winter and high radiation levels.
* Beam weapons are a slow way to destroy installations without environmental effects.
* Why not use terraforming to suck away their atmosphere?

If you want to conquer the planet, you can soften up the defender via Naval Bombardment:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg111435#msg111435
This is part of normal space combat, in which:
* Bigger ground formations are more likely to get hit
* Beam weapons are very likely to miss
* Missiles have default hit chance of 100% reduced by fortification and deal lot more damage, including to environment

Having done that, you can send in your aerospace fighters to perform Non-Support Fighter Missions:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110233#msg110233
This is part of ground combat, in which:
* No need for friendly ground forces
* Chance to hit is lower
* 50/50 chance of hitting defender AAA
* Fighters are safe from starships
* Combat Air Patrol is probably going to deal with enemy fighters but Steve hasn't coded it yet

Now you can drop your ground forces to the surface! *cue the Klendathu landing scene*

While ground combat is taking place, you can have your ships provide Orbital Bombardment Support:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg110310#msg110310
* Fleets assigned to specific formations
* Only beam weapons fire
* Much more accurate than Naval Bombardment but requires FFD among troops
* Slower firing which saves MSP

And finally, your aerospace fighters with fighter pods can provide Ground Support:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109886#msg109886
* Fighters pick targets like Heavy Bombardment units and have same hit chance
* 6 fighters per 1 FFD
* Fighters are safe from starships
* Enemy Combat Air Patrol might kill your fighters but Steve hasn't coded it yet

So for example, I'll most likely build Assault Carriers carrying pure "air" fighters equipped with various Fighter Pods:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg109885#msg109885

Divided into different squadrons which will perform CAP, SEAD, SND and CAS missions. But in addition, I'll make Bombardment Cruisers, equipped with a big broadside of huge lasers - ROF is not an issue since they fire once every 6 hours - that provide Orbital Bombardment Support. Might even use Plasma Carronades for that work.

Ground Support Fighters will be extremely small. Steve's example is only 107 tons with 3 Pod Bays.

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag, davidb86, kks, DIT_grue, bro918, smoelf, Rye123, JustAnotherDude

Offline MultiVitamin

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
Re: All the different planetary battle support options in one place
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
I really want to test and see if I can build/make/design a Doomcannon ala Warhammer 40k.

That is, if my ground troops are failing to secure a planet, being able to glass said planet with a single shot from one of my ships weapons (most likely a ship designed specifically for this purpose).

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:43 AM »
I really want to test and see if I can build/make/design a Doomcannon ala Warhammer 40k.

That is, if my ground troops are failing to secure a planet, being able to glass said planet with a single shot from one of my ships weapons (most likely a ship designed specifically for this purpose).
One max size missile with 90% warhead?  :)

The following users thanked this post: Protomolecule

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
I ask this out of ignorance - I know combat air patrol hasn't been coded yet but I'm wondering if you can manually set your ground support fighters to engage detected enemy fighters like you would with any other ship in space?  It won't happen automatically but if I see a flight of enemy fighters down there mucking things up, could I not send my fighters armed with a2a pods to engage them?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
I ask this out of ignorance - I know combat air patrol hasn't been coded yet but I'm wondering if you can manually set your ground support fighters to engage detected enemy fighters like you would with any other ship in space?  It won't happen automatically but if I see a flight of enemy fighters down there mucking things up, could I not send my fighters armed with a2a pods to engage them?

At the moment the AI isn't using ground support fighters. As I add that to the AI, I will add the A2A as well.

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel, Kristover, DIT_grue

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 11:56:39 AM »
Cool - that will effect some of my design and ordnance selections right out the gate.  Probably no need for dedicated anti-aircraft ground formations out the gate unless I misread something and AA has some bleed over into ground combat or STO.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
Cool - that will effect some of my design and ordnance selections right out the gate.  Probably no need for dedicated anti-aircraft ground formations out the gate unless I misread something and AA has some bleed over into ground combat or STO.

You can use AA in ground combat. The AA is a second function for the same component.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover