Author Topic: Re: Official v6.30 Bugs thread  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Enti (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
Re: Official v6.30 Bugs thread
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
When you make a cheap fighter or PDC design, then put it in production, then change the design, the end result is the changed ship with the cost of the initial ship.  Since I didn't describe it very well, let me put it like this.  If you design ship A, the cheapest fighter you can produce with only an engine.  You put these into production.  Then you change the design, adding a thousand guns, 50 armor, and a hundred engines.  When the first is produced, you will get a ship of the new design, for the price and construction time of the original.  These can even be scrapped, gaining the resources they would if they had been made in a shipyard.

(I hope I put this in the right place, every other one I checked seems to be crash reports.  I checked and searched for keywords PDC and fighter on this page, and couldn't find it, so I hope it isn't a well known bug or something.  I just found this in version 6. 20, tested it again in 6. 30 to make sure it hadn't been fixed, and it just bugs me. )

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:41:22 AM »
When you make a cheap fighter or PDC design, then put it in production, then change the design, the end result is the changed ship with the cost of the initial ship.  Since I didn't describe it very well, let me put it like this.  If you design ship A, the cheapest fighter you can produce with only an engine.  You put these into production.  Then you change the design, adding a thousand guns, 50 armor, and a hundred engines.  When the first is produced, you will get a ship of the new design, for the price and construction time of the original.  These can even be scrapped, gaining the resources they would if they had been made in a shipyard.

Are you in SpaceMaster mode? Because then it's intentional, SpaceMaster is a Cheat mode for your convenience, you can give yourself all techs and create überships out of nowhere, but it's up to you what you do with it.
Most people use it to edit stupid mistakes, or create interesting enemies, or use it to fix bugged stuff.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:55:06 AM »
When you make a cheap fighter or PDC design, then put it in production, then change the design, the end result is the changed ship with the cost of the initial ship.  Since I didn't describe it very well, let me put it like this.  If you design ship A, the cheapest fighter you can produce with only an engine.  You put these into production.  Then you change the design, adding a thousand guns, 50 armor, and a hundred engines.  When the first is produced, you will get a ship of the new design, for the price and construction time of the original.  These can even be scrapped, gaining the resources they would if they had been made in a shipyard.

That might be a "bug" left in intentionally since there is no way to refit fighters or PDCs as far as I know.

Offline Enti (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • E
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
Are you in SpaceMaster mode? Because then it's intentional, SpaceMaster is a Cheat mode for your convenience, you can give yourself all techs and create überships out of nowhere, but it's up to you what you do with it.
Most people use it to edit stupid mistakes, or create interesting enemies, or use it to fix bugged stuff.

Nope, not in spacemaster mode.  Just a glitch that means you create ships out of nowhere.  Try it yourself if you want, it can be accomplished in a few minutes.

That might be a "bug" left in intentionally since there is no way to refit fighters or PDCs as far as I know.

It might be, though I wouldn't know.  I thought it would be better to post here, if it is intentional the glitch fixers would probably know.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
I broke this OP and its replies out and put it into a separate thread in The Academy, so as not to clutter the 6.30 bugs thread with a discussion of a "Working as intended" (or at least "mostly as intended") feature.  In answer to the OP's implied question "Did I put this in the right place?" (hidden behind the spoiler tag), the answer is "We encourage new players to first post things they think are bugs in The Academy to get confirmation that they really are bugs, or to hone in on what the actual bug is before posting to the bugs thread."  See the "Where should I post?" FAQ more details.

As to what is going on:  All of the ship objects in the code point to a design object (I'm using the computer science term "object" here loosely - in reality they're mostly entries in the database).  If you change the properties of the design object, the ship objects change magically to have the properties of the modified design.  This is what the "new design" button is for - when you want to modify a design that is in production, you should create a new design and edit that.  There are safeguards built into Aurora to keep you from accidentally modifying such a design (such as requiring a design be locked before you put it into production, and requiring SM mode to unlock a locked design) but they can be circumvented by SM mode.  (This is intentional so that you can work around bugs or mistakes, as someone already mentioned).

So what presumably happened is that after the OP put the design into production, he used SM mode to unlock the design and modify it.  At that point all bets were off - he was intentionally going into expert mode to make a non-realistic change.  Assuming that he did have to use SM mode to make the change, then the only thing I can see that might not be working as intended is the fact that the build cost wasn't updated when the design was changed.  To put it another way, the OP could have waited until the ship was built, made the change, and seen exactly the same result - an almost free super-ship.

So the big question to the OP is: "Are you absolutely certain you didn't use SM mode anywhere in this process, either to build an unlocked design or to unlock the design after it was in production?"  (And by asking that question I just realized what the real issue may be:) If the answer to that is "Yes", then the next question is "Did you use industrial factories to build these things, or shipyards?"  If the answer is "shipyards", then something really weird is going on, since this should be well-established code.  If the answer is "industrial factories", then there's a good chance that the actual bug is "I'm able to use industrial factories to build a design that isn't frozen."

John
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:18:03 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Yeah, fighters/PDCs do not automatically lock their designs when you make a build order. I think ground-built orbital habitats have the same problem.

That is to say
...the actual bug is "I'm able to use industrial factories to build a design that isn't frozen."
Or it was that way in 6.21 anyway. I haven't tested with the latest patch, but I assume it hasn't changed.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »
Yeah, fighters/PDCs do not automatically lock their designs when you make a build order. I think ground-built orbital habitats have the same problem.

Ok, THAT should be posted in the "Bugs" thread, along with a link to this thread.

Thanks,
John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
I thought it would be better to post here, if it is intentional the glitch fixers would probably know.

BTW, "fixers" is one guy: Steve :)  

Thanks for digging up the fact that the locking mechanism is broken for factory builds.

John

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

That is to say Or it was that way in 6.21 anyway. I haven't tested with the latest patch, but I assume it hasn't changed.

It's been this way since at least the 5.5 days.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »
Certain component research projects that no longer require duranium "carry" over the duranium requirements from other projects:

Starting off:
Code: [Select]
Active Sensor Strength: 21   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Sensor Size: 1 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 16,800,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 672,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 42,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 21    Crew: 2
Materials Required: 0x Duranium  21x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 210RP

After switching to a CIWS design that requires 10x Duranium:
Code: [Select]
Active Sensor Strength: 21   Sensitivity Modifier: 80%
Sensor Size: 1 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 100    Maximum Range vs 5000 ton object (or larger): 16,800,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 672,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 42,000 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 21    Crew: 2
Materials Required: 10x Duranium  21x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 210RP

Its just a display issue I believe, beam fire controls, passive sensors, and engines also do this.