Author Topic: Transfering racial techs / items between empires  (Read 1548 times)

Offline alex_brunius (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Transfering racial techs / items between empires
« on: November 04, 2013, 01:13:35 PM »
I have a multi faction start game with several nations starting on Earth going.

I want to model how certain hardware/components can be sold from one nation to another without also revealing the background technology required to make it.

But even using SM mode I am running into trouble finding a way to do this, and it feels like an easy way to do it has to be in the game since you can even recover hardware from alien installations or ships. Of-course there must be a simple way to transfer hardware between two pops on the same body?

The only way I can think of working so far is:

1.) design a ship using only the component using selling empire
2.) use SM/Starting OOB to add it to game
3.) change control of ship to receiving empire
4.) subtract minerals of component cost from receiving empire
5.) scrap the ship to get the components
6.) subtract minerals gained from scrapping ship from receiving empire
7.) subtract/add wealth for the transaction

Shouldn't there be an easier way?

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
Re: Transfering racial techs / items between empires
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »
I ran into this exact scenario in my LP.  I was ultimately forced to manually edit the DB to get the components into the designs properly.  And even that didn't work the way I expected.  Just adding the components to the stockpile of the other race didn't allow me to incorporate them into designs in-game, so I tried to emulate some ruin engines I'd found earlier.  That didn't work either.  I literally had to add the entries for the components into the ShipClassComponent table before they showed up in the design.  Thankfully, they did properly consume them from the stockpile upon construction.

I don't think the game can handle this at all right now.  Probably be a nice feature to have.  Being able to trade components without the backing-RSTs would be extremely convenient.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:03 AM »
Just being able to transfer racial techs would make it a lot easier, since you then could use SM to instant build components.

No one that found a way to do that either?

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »
I saw Steve doing many multi-faction stars but he always traded technology, not the racial ones. i think it might be logical that the faction can not construct complicated technlogy without understanding the background.
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 04:11:55 AM »
In Spacemaster mode, you can use the Compare Tech screen to do some of this.

Tick the 'Show Race-Designed Tech Systems'. The list should now include component, missile, etc. designs for the races in addition to standard tech. Transfer them as normal. The receiving race should now be able to add it to designs and produce it in the industry tab, the same way as if it had been stolen via espionage.

I use this to simulate license production of components in multi-nation starts for example.

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:27:47 AM »
In Spacemaster mode, you can use the Compare Tech screen to do some of this.

Tick the 'Show Race-Designed Tech Systems'. The list should now include component, missile, etc. designs for the races in addition to standard tech. Transfer them as normal. The receiving race should now be able to add it to designs and produce it in the industry tab, the same way as if it had been stolen via espionage.

I use this to simulate license production of components in multi-nation starts for example.

Oooh so it can be done! Cool. I will try this, I am trying to simulate the exact same thing, licence production. :)

Offline Bgreman

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:39:03 AM »
I found the appropriate table.  RaceDesignTech.  Adding a TechSystemID there with the appropriate RaceID allows that race to use components of that type in the stockpile in their designs, but not to construct the components themselves.