Author Topic: System map minimizes during turns  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Xeluc (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
System map minimizes during turns
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Hey first post here.   I'm really enjoying the game so far but I'm getting annoyed by my System map screen minimizing all the time while auto-turning.   I checked Disable jump to event in the event updates, but it doesn't appear to do anything and the box doesn't even stay checked after exiting.   I'm sure that this is simple, but I'd appreciate some advice.   

EDIT: After tinkering, it looks like my System map is only minimizing when Aurora stops responding.  Looks like too much is going on for my lappy.  Setting the processor priority to high appeared to help, but did not fix it entirely.  I'm thinking that having Asteroids orbiting might be too much.  Will start a new game :( and see if the problem starts again.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by Xeluc »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: System map minimizes during turns
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
It might be something windows itself is doing after it gets too laggy.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Xeluc (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:38 PM »
Yeah I came to that conclusion after a while.  I downgraded from 6. 3 to 6. 21 and turned off asteroid orbits.  So far everything is running great but I really hope every game isn't going to suffer from FPS death like Dwarf Fortress can.

I should be able to play this game right?

T9400 Intel Core 2 duo 2. 53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 256 MB video RAM.

Offline Bryan Swartz

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »
Certainly, but as with any game of this type, it will continue to slow down over time.  It really depends on how much micromanagement and slowdown you are willing to bear.  My experience is that the problem in Aurora isn't nearly on the scale of DF(for multiple reasons), but it will still slow down as your game progresses. 

Offline Xeluc (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:06 PM »
Ugh.  I'm fine with the slow down.  Every game I play starts minimizing windows after 15-20 years.  Once the system map starts minimizing, I'm unable to even stop the time progression.  It's very annoying.

System monitor says I'm using 49% of cpu while playing on my dual core.  Could it be that the game is only using one core? Is this simply a hardware issue? I really hope not.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:51:33 PM »
Ugh.  I'm fine with the slow down.  Every game I play starts minimizing windows after 15-20 years.  Once the system map starts minimizing, I'm unable to even stop the time progression.  It's very annoying.

System monitor says I'm using 49% of cpu while playing on my dual core.  Could it be that the game is only using one core? Is this simply a hardware issue? I really hope not.

Aurora is written in VB6 and is single-threaded. So it only uses one core, regardless of how many sit there and wish they could play too. ;)

Offline Xeluc (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • X
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »
I figured as much.  However I've played a year or so today without any problems.  It's really weird.  If I figure out the variables involved that creates the problem I'll post.  So far my best guess is restarting my computer gets rid of the problem, but it hasn't always.