Author Topic: Stories  (Read 50544 times)

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Stories
« on: December 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
If anyone doing write-ups for any game system, and wishes to have a forum dedicated to it, let me know and I will make it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
Re: Stories
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
when playing aurora  do you write your stories do you write them retrospectively as after action reports and try to connect the dots as you go or do you write as it happens in real time as the campaign develops. I am trying to write a first and it seems to take too long to build up a nice story with enough action and economic background details. Any tips ?

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 12:45:07 PM »
I tend to rough out the players before hand. Empire name, etc. Then I go through the game setup for the initial ship designs and officer names. Then I start playing, taking notes during each "turn". Those get fleshed out (somewhat).

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:22:59 PM »
Does this mean that you begin the story when this get more interactive such as when you come in contact with another race or do you begin the story from the get go of the campaign and empire building ? I ask because during the early stages you can go for months without anything interesting to report hence you can have bland beginnings.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
From the beginning, and yes, there can be stretches of nothing.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Quote from: "simon"
when playing aurora  do you write your stories do you write them retrospectively as after action reports and try to connect the dots as you go or do you write as it happens in real time as the campaign develops. I am trying to write a first and it seems to take too long to build up a nice story with enough action and economic background details. Any tips ?
I write mine as I go. I'll play a few increments then write a paragraph or two if anything happens. Other poeple may have a different approach though so you need to find a style you are happy with.

Don't worry if nothing much happens early on. You might only report one or two events a year in the early stages. Once the action starts, you will have plenty to write about :)

Steve

Offline simon

• Chief Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:06:31 AM »
Whenever i encounter other races there is always the problem of strategic nudity. Every one encountered has no strategic depth because you basically stumble into their defenseless home system a problem even the almighty spacemaster takes time to fix. The way i play it is we are allied before we begin as vicious and pitiless resource war which at least give time for the race to organically grow some strategic depth i.e fleet bases, strategic systems and well trained forces. I bring this up because the more races appear on the scene the more difficult building a coherent story becomes i.e trying to grow several empires fast enough without overusing spacemaster, has anyone a better method. P.S Hopeful the new version will ease this

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 01:35:57 PM »
Quote from: "simon"
Whenever i encounter other races there is always the problem of strategic nudity. Every one encountered has no strategic depth because you basically stumble into their defenseless home system a problem even the almighty spacemaster takes time to fix. The way i play it is we are allied before we begin as vicious and pitiless resource war which at least give time for the race to organically grow some strategic depth i.e fleet bases, strategic systems and well trained forces. I bring this up because the more races appear on the scene the more difficult building a coherent story becomes i.e trying to grow several empires fast enough without overusing spacemaster, has anyone a better method. P.S Hopeful the new version will ease this
That is a very good point. It is something I need to address, possibly by playing around with jump point connections after a system with a new race is created. It's complex but I would need to break the link between the starting system and the alien system, add one or more systems in between, link them up appropriately and then move the probe fleet into the first intervening system. It won't be in version 4.0 but I will put this on my list of things to do. I would also only do it if the new race was generated with starting jump tech.

Steve

The following users thanked this post: superstrijder15

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »
I was looking over the forum structure this morning, and was thinking... Instead of grouping by story, how about forums based on author, i.e. Steve's Fiction, Kurt's Fiction, etc. and under these, would be individual forums for particular campaigns.

Yea? Nay? Shut up and let us read? ;)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I was looking over the forum structure this morning, and was thinking... Instead of grouping by story, how about forums based on author, i.e. Steve's Fiction, Kurt's Fiction, etc. and under these, would be individual forums for particular campaigns.

Sounds reasonable - the list is getting a little long (at 3 pages) so an added layer of grouping might be worthwhile.

John

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 06:14:23 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Sounds reasonable - the list is getting a little long (at 3 pages) so an added layer of grouping might be worthwhile.

John

Used myself as a guinea pig (on the theory if I blow it up, it's just my stuff), and added a forum "Erik's Fiction".

Offline Sotak246

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
I like the idea.  It would make it easier to find the contiuation of an story I am reading.

Mark

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 08:36:40 AM »
Sounds good to me too. Some of the earlier fiction posts are well mixed up now and could be difficult for a new reader to fit them all together again.

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 02:16:16 PM »
Done. I think.

Some of the very old posts are truncated. :(

Some of the posts I was not sure what campaign they belonged to, so they ended up in the top level author's folder. I'll be giving the authors mod rights to the folders so they should be able to move posts around (if I've messed things up). For new subforums, let me know.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
Done. I think.

Some of the very old posts are truncated. :(

Some of the posts I was not sure what campaign they belonged to, so they ended up in the top level author's folder. I'll be giving the authors mod rights to the folders so they should be able to move posts around (if I've messed things up). For new subforums, let me know.
A very minor concern is that the Aurora fiction folder no longer has fiction within it. Would it be better to have an Aurora fiction forum with each person's Aurora-related fiction in their own sub-folder (and the same for Starfire and BTS?). I am just a little worried that someone new to the board might not realise which fiction is for which game.

Steve