Author Topic: Noob question - how to restore a backup?  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Karmag (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
Noob question - how to restore a backup?
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:20:17 PM »
I'm not really sure which sub-forum this goes in, but the "Installation" one looks to be the closest fit.

At any rate, my computer recently crashed, corrupting my Aurora save-game.  Thankfully, I've been creating backups of the entire game folder (Eh, I've got 1. 5TB of spare HD space, so I copy everything Aurora-related into the backup), so I figured that I'd only lose a game-year or two. 

The problem is that, when I deleted first the Stevefire file and replaced it with my backup, the game still showed up as corrupted.  (As in, it would load, but when I tried to increment any amount of time, it threw errors at me, requiring Task Manager to close it).  Thinking that something odd might be off, I deleted all of the files from the original corrupted Aurora file, and then replaced them all with the backup.  Now, when I launch Aurora, my game isn't even there - the only option is Steve's "Space 1899" game.

Before y'all head-desk at some obvious fail I've made, I'd like to make it known that this is the first time I've tried to restore from a backup, so I'm mostly guessing as to what should work.

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Noob question - how to restore a backup?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:51 AM »
If you replace the corrupted database Stevefire.mdb, it should work. If it doesn't, the only reason I can see is that the copy has not been executed by windows, or by you  ;)
If you see only Steve's campaign, it means you have somehow overwritten the DB with the original one.

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:27:36 AM »
Yep. A word of warning: If you're using windows vista/7/8 and installed in program files, the stevefire.mdb you want is off in
c:\users\[user]\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\aurora
appdata is a hidden folder.
I backed up the wrong file twice before I figured that out. Not a fun mistake to make. Any other install directory and it's more obvious.
You may have backed up the wrong file :(

If you did, you can try right-clicking it and hitting 'restore previous version'. Some versions of windows do their own automatic backups, and one of those might be useful.

Offline Karmag (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:01:33 AM »
Quote from: Nightstar link=topic=6035. msg62005#msg62005 date=1364707656
You may have backed up the wrong file :(

If you did, you can try right-clicking it and hitting 'restore previous version'.  Some versions of windows do their own automatic backups, and one of those might be useful.

Yup, that was the problem.  The computer didn't save a backup of it, though. . . ah well.  At least now I know what to back-up for my next game.

Thanks for the help, folks!