C# Aurora > General Discussion

Newtonian Aurora?

(1/2) > >>

v431:
Hello everyone.
I came from Terra Invicta looking for a more in-depth strategy experience.  To my disappointment, Aurora does not implement orbital mechanics for ships.  I found a post from 2011 (https://aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=4019. msg39038#msg39038) talking about a theoretical implementation of newtonian gravity, which is pretty much exactly what i wanted. 
All of that leads to my question as to what is the current state of the idea and whether there are any working implementations. 

Andrew:
No Implementation and AFAIK not being worked on for around a decade

nuclearslurpee:
Yeah, Steve worked on it for a while and came to the conclusion that, as much fun as Newtonian mechanics are for space nerds, it didn't add anything to the whole 4X space strategy game thing Aurora is all about besides extra micromanagement. Despite the level of detail, Aurora has never been meant as a hard sci-fi simulator although it's a damn sight closer to realism than, say, Star Trek or something.

That being said, I will say that once you do get into Aurora, you don't really miss the hard sci-fi mechanics as much as you might think. The real meat of the game is in the strategic, operational, logistics, doctrinal, etc. and the tactical parts while quite detailed are really a small part of the whole.

Zap0:
Pulsar 4X is being developed with newtonian mechanics. It's also not yet playable :-(

nuclearslurpee:

--- Quote from: Zap0 on April 06, 2024, 06:14:02 PM ---Pulsar 4X is being developed with newtonian mechanics. It's also not yet playable :-(

--- End quote ---

Is Pulsar still active? I thought it was abandoned several years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version