Author Topic: 4.1 Suggestions  (Read 9273 times)

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: 4.1 Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Introduce missile design "series" and "generations", e.g. "Sparrow-A", "Sparrow-B", "Sparrow-C", etc. such that Aurora knows that these all fulfill the same role in a load-out, and that the Sparrow-C is the most advanced version.

The idea here is to cut back on micro-management of (default) missile load-out of ships.  The problem comes as new missile designs are introduced to replace obsolete ones - there usually aren't enough of the new time fill the magazines of all ships.  For example, in my campaign, I've got Tomahawk-A, Tomahawk-B, and Tomahawk-C.  If I could specify that my destroyers loaded "30 Tomahawk" (note the lack of a generation specifier), then all I would need to do is specify "load ordinance" and Aurora could use as many Tomahawk-C as available, followed by Tomahawk-B and Tomahawk-A.  It Could also help during the missile design phase, since there's no (or at least I haven't found a ) "copy design" button.  If instead there was a "new generation" button on Tomahawk-C, Aurora could use the same masses in Tomahawk-D - all I'd have to do is adjust them if I wanted e.g. to trade off speed for range in the "D" generation.
An interesting idea. I have already added functionality for v4.1 that will fill magazines with alternative missiles of the same size if the standard loadout is unavailable so I could modify it for this idea. I'll handle this when I start going through the suggestion thread properly.

Steve
I like slonjh's idea about multiple generations, it is somethat has a basis in reality.  Airforces and navies around the world fill their hardpoints/magazines with multiple generations of a particular missile family.
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2009, 05:36:04 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
I like slonjh's idea about multiple generations, it is somethat has a basis in reality.  Airforces and navies around the world fill their hardpoints/magazines with multiple generations of a particular missile family.

That's actually what made me think of it - I remembered reading about the various "blocks" (IIRC) of SM2-MR in the US Navy inventory.  Same thing happens with fighters, actually - I think Phantoms were already up to "J" in Vietnam and might have ended up at "M' or "N".

John

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
Something that just came to mind. How about an order in the TG screen for a ship to picket a jp, planet, moon, whatever, that would automatically change the ship's speed to 1 to reduce it's thermal signature? It seems there is quite a call for pickets and something that common should have a general order for it.

Thanks,

Adam.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2009, 09:27:17 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Something that just came to mind. How about an order in the TG screen for a ship to picket a jp, planet, moon, whatever, that would automatically change the ship's speed to 1 to reduce it's thermal signature? It seems there is quite a call for pickets and something that common should have a general order for it.
I have added this for v4.1. It is just the same as a Move To order, except that speed is changed to 1 km/s on arrival. Don't forget to change the speed if you want to go anywhere else :)

Steve

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2009, 02:10:35 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Quote from: "adradjool"
I have added this for v4.1. It is just the same as a Move To order, except that speed is changed to 1 km/s on arrival. Don't forget to change the speed if you want to go anywhere else :)

Steve

Maybe put a notification in if there's a conditional order that modifies the fleet speed. It'd bite to go quiet and then next time increment shoot back up to max speed

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »
Three things:

1)  When a "retool for" or "construct/refit to" is given to a SY, Aurora checks (and requires) that the design is locked.  The reason for the construct/refit check is that a SY can build a ship it's not tooled for.

2)  When a design is unlocked, Aurora gives a warning if the class is "in use", where "not in use" is defined as nothing depending on that class, i.e. no ships of that class (including civies), no refits to or builds of that class in progress, and no SY tooled to produce the class.

3)  (I think this one is already planned.)  When an attempt is made to delete a class design, a check is made to ensure that it's not in use.

The reason for #1 and #2 is that I often get new tech before I have a chance to put a designed class into production.  #1 and #2 allow updating an unused design without the risk of unintentionally changing one that's already in use.  The reason for "warning only" is to allow players to clean up some oversight in a class for which e.g. retooling has already started.

It would also be nice to have similar safeguards for tech systems (e.g. weapons, sensors, etc), but I suspect that's a lot harder to get right.

John