Author Topic: So I rescued some aliens...  (Read 1374 times)

Offline randal7 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
So I rescued some aliens...
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
...from lifepods after I blew up their ships. I assume they are Swarm, since there were 28 800-ton ships. The log says they have been interrogated, but nothing new seems to be added to their information page. I gather I can't talk to the Swarm anyway. I've just finished the battle; will more information come from them later, or do these guys just get dissected?

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
Re: So I rescued some aliens...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »
Every time you rescue alien lifepods, there's apparently a small chance you'll get something juicy.  It certainly doesn't happen every time, but it does happen.

I've gotten information on alien ship classes, alien systems, and research toward new technologies.

EDIT:  What I do find weird is that when you capture an alien homeworld, while you do get all their tech, you don't get all their survey knowledge.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »
Quote from: "The Shadow"
Every time you rescue alien lifepods, there's apparently a small chance you'll get something juicy.  It certainly doesn't happen every time, but it does happen.

I've gotten information on alien ship classes, alien systems, and research toward new technologies.

EDIT:  What I do find weird is that when you capture an alien homeworld, while you do get all their tech, you don't get all their survey knowledge.

Actually, you build up a certain number of intel points for that race.  When the intel points reach a certain level (100 I think), you have a random chance of getting intel (like tech).  This is my vague recollection of a post from Steve a year or two ago where he answered pretty much the same question when I asked it - you can probably find the post if you search for it.

John

Offline randal7 (OP)

• r
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:12:49 PM »
After dispatching my second swarm, I learned of the existence of a system from captives. But that's it, not what's in it or how to get there. Can I do something with this that I'm not realizing?

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
I look at it this way: they tried to dump their database or the database was corrupted due to battle damage, so all you are getting are fragments of data. Also, you may only be rescuing crewmen who do not necessarily have access to star charts and technical information so only a rare NCO or Bridge Officer might be any use to you.

In saying that, was this Star Swarm lifepods you were getting? I thought that Star Swarm do not have lifepods?

Offline randal7 (OP)

• r
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:27:45 PM »
Yes it was. I'm playing 4.9-something, so it may have changed since.