Author Topic: Income from shipping?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Maximillian (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • M
Income from shipping?
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
There is no reason to terraform Mars, for example, because the civvies make you a ton of money hauling infrastructure on that short route and there are no negative effects from the uninhabitablity.

I thought it was the other way around, don't you have to pay to have civilian shipping move your cargo around?

Offline Decimator

• Chief Petty Officer
  • D
Re: Income from shipping?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
He's talking about the shipping civilians do themselves.  Earth civilians build surplus infrastructure, and the shipping lines then ship it to Mars.  All without player intervention.  :D

I don't agree with his assessment though, since the shipping lines will quite happily ship other trade goods constantly.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:25 AM »
Quote from: "randal7"
There is no reason to terraform Mars, for example, because the civvies make you a ton of money hauling infrastructure on that short route and there are no negative effects from the uninhabitablity.

Looks like this quote got pulled from the 5.14 suggestions thread.

The "no negative effects" statement is incorrect.  The % population requirement for infrastructure goes up with colonization cost.  The service sector % goes up with population.  If the population and colonization cost are large enough, eventually the % available workers will be zero.

In addition, the infrastructure flowing to Mars will prevent infrastructure flowing to other, extra-solar, colonies.

John

Offline randal7

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • r
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "randal7"

Looks like this quote got pulled from the 5.14 suggestions thread.

The "no negative effects" statement is incorrect.  The % population requirement for infrastructure goes up with colonization cost.  The service sector % goes up with population.  If the population and colonization cost are large enough, eventually the % available workers will be zero.

In addition, the infrastructure flowing to Mars will prevent infrastructure flowing to other, extra-solar, colonies.

John

"No negative effects" is wrong in a very broad sense. I would still maintain it is correct here with Mars. I've not been playing nearly as long as most here, but my observation over several games has been: get Mars started up and the civvies will keep the infrastructure ahead of the pop needs. My latest game the civvies make 6 or 7 Mars runs for every extrasolar run, and they should, because it is a faster run for the same money. I've never run out of available workers on a colony except at the very beginning, because population quickly outstrips your ability to build facilities. Similarly, after getting the first couple colonies started, I don't build infrastructure except in a rare case. First, because I just move my terraformer ships out to the next colony and let them work while I build up the first few worlds plus the mining colonies (industry bottleneck again), and second, because if I really need it I'll terraform Mars a little and use some of the free infrastructure the civvies have given me (Mars has over 5000 in my current game, of which I paid for 300).

I don't regard this as anything like a game-breaker. It's more like this game feels so much more like what space colonization would really be like to me, so much more real, if you like, than any other 4x I've played, that this little exploit bothers me disproportionately.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:24 AM »
Always depends on your economy, and your priorities.
If you have as many colony ships as the civies got freighters, and no wealth problems whatsoever, with an income exceeding your expenses by a good 50%, you might terraform it just for the sake of it^^.

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, the "infrastructure" that the civilian sector hauls between planets is not the same as the Infrastructure built by factories which support populations in hostile environments.  In a previous game (I think 5.12 or something) I had a habitable but > 0 cost colony in the next system, and while the civilians were hauling infrastructure to it, I had to actually order the construction of infrastructure to keep people from dying.

Offline The Shadow

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
No... the civvie infrastructure is the real thing, so far as I can see.  If you had to order infrastructure, that may be because the civvies were shipping colonists faster than they were infrastructure.  They seem to do that.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
I have yet to have the civilians send infrastructure as fast as they send people.  Also by terraforming It lets me use the civilians to move around mines and such without worry of over population.  But I do pre TN starts so wealth is not as big of an issue for me.