Author Topic: TN or Conentional start for a complete noob?  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
TN or Conentional start for a complete noob?
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
For a total complete noob and I meet complete noob which do you guys recommend for my first play through or attempt there of? A TN or Conventional start and why? I am watching Alfapiomega lets play/tutorial on you tube and it is great.  He started with conventional and it seems like you pretty much start with nothing whihc I would assume translates into a slower start which also translates that due to a slower start it would be more noob friendly? Let me know.  Thanks. . .

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Re: TN or Conentional start for a complete noob?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »
For a total complete noob and I meet complete noob which do you guys recommend for my first play through or attempt there of? A TN or Conventional start and why? I am watching Alfapiomega lets play/tutorial on you tube and it is great.  He started with conventional and it seems like you pretty much start with nothing whihc I would assume translates into a slower start which also translates that due to a slower start it would be more noob friendly? Let me know.  Thanks. . .

First off thank you for the compliment!  :) I am glad you are enjoying yourself. If you ever have any questions, just go ahead and ask, I check every comment ;)

Now to your second question, I'd probably say (especially if you watch my videos) go conventional  with 0 NPR's, no (or very low NPR generation chance) no invaders and no Swarm. You will have peace that you need and as you start conventional, you will have a chance to test everything on your own pace while following me do the same. But trust me, after a few years and attempts you will be better than I when I started the LP ;)
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:10 AM »
Wow so good that you are still active in this community trying to help noobs out like myself.  So, should I go for the same start as you had when you set game up? Follow exact same setup steps?

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
Wow so good that you are still active in this community trying to help noobs out like myself.  So, should I go for the same start as you had when you set game up? Follow exact same setup steps?

I wouldn't. I played two or three times (some thirty years into the game) before I started the LP so that I could test out everything. It depends on you but remember that I have invaders on in the LP (they can come at ANY time and destroy you), so I would do exactly the same as I have with Invaders and Swarm off and 0 NPR's. You can do a restart when you think you got the hang of it and make it harder for yourself if you wish :)

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
Thank you so much.  Your video's are very intellectual, and very entertaining ( with your little funny text pop ups from time to time) at the same time.  Would love to see more LP's and maybe even an LP for a complete noob like me :)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
A couple points to note about a conventional vs TN start.

1. Conventional means you start with basically zero tech. Any NPRs generated at start won't. They will have basic TN tech.
2. Once you have achieved TN and are exploring, any NPRs encountered will be generated using the elapsed game time as a key for building up their tech. So you might be the equivalent of year 5 TN, but have played 30 years total. Any NPRs will be generated with 30 years of equivalent tech.
3. Any of the spoiler races will chew you up more so than usual. :)

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
A couple points to note about a conventional vs TN start.

1. Conventional means you start with basically zero tech. Any NPRs generated at start won't. They will have basic TN tech.
2. Once you have achieved TN and are exploring, any NPRs encountered will be generated using the elapsed game time as a key for building up their tech. So you might be the equivalent of year 5 TN, but have played 30 years total. Any NPRs will be generated with 30 years of equivalent tech.
3. Any of the spoiler races will chew you up more so than usual. :)

Hence why I said he should start with no spoilers, no NPR's and run a peacful campaign first time around before venturing in the depths of space :)

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »
Thank you so much.  Your video's are very intellectual, and very entertaining ( with your little funny text pop ups from time to time) at the same time.  Would love to see more LP's and maybe even an LP for a complete noob like me :)

Well I made the first (only) LP of Aurora for new players. If I didn't I would lose viewers after first episode as they would get so confused it wouldn't be possible for them to continue. But I have plans for another campaign when this one ends.
As I said - any questions regarding the game just post them here and people will help you or if it's a video specific just ask me there ;)

BTW: Erik is not kidding so once again, for the first playthrough disable all the AI's. It would be frustrating if they bullied you before you got the controls down.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:52:51 AM by Alfapiomega »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:52 AM »
In all honesty, your first dozen or so plays will end after just a few years due to some thing you overlooked, or zigging when you should have zagged. Don't let it discourage you. Just start a new game and play on.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »
In all honesty, your first dozen or so plays will end after just a few years due to some thing you overlooked, or zigging when you should have zagged. Don't let it discourage you. Just start a new game and play on.

?truth

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
Quote from: Alfapiomega link=topic=6694. msg68414#msg68414 date=1389282070
I wouldn't.  I played two or three times (some thirty years into the game) before I started the LP so that I could test out everything.  It depends on you but remember that I have invaders on in the LP (they can come at ANY time and destroy you), so I would do exactly the same as I have with Invaders and Swarm off and 0 NPR's.  You can do a restart when you think you got the hang of it and make it harder for yourself if you wish :)

1-Ok when I start a new game what do I set the NPR generation chance to?

2- What do I set the NON NPR computer opponents to? What do I leave checked or not checked?

3-And in the computer controlled empires box what is checked on of off?

4- Starting system jump point leave default of up it to 6? Thanks guys.

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
ad 1) 0

ad 2) 0

ad 3) swarm and invaders both unclicked

ad 4) yes, six are fine

Offline Antmf (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
3 last questions
1- Number of computer controlled opponents at the start of the game. Should I set that to 0 as well?

2- Create 1 or more computer controlled opponents clicked or unclicked?

3-Generate empires as NPR's checked or unchecked? Thanks for all the help :)

Offline Alfapiomega

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
3 last questions
1- Number of computer controlled opponents at the start of the game. Should I set that to 0 as well?

2- Create 1 or more computer controlled opponents clicked or unclicked?

3-Generate empires as NPR's checked or unchecked? Thanks for all the help :)

ad 1) 0

ad 2) unchecked

ad 3) unchecked

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
I think I did the tutorial from the forums as a TN start in my first game, then did a conventional start for my second.  The first tutorial game let me try out most of the main features right away.  The conventional start game helped me fill in a lot of the gaps of my game knowledge, but a conventional start is pretty darn slow, so be careful.

One thing I would do with a conventional start is give yourself extra research labs.  At least 20 is a good start.