Author Topic: Maintenance Clock  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Maintenance Clock
« on: September 07, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
I'm trying to understand how rewinding maintenance clock works. 

I have ships in overhaul.  There is 150k Maintenance Capacity and less than 5k Shipping Tonnage Maintained.  If I understand this properly, I should be proceeding at full speed because of that. 

Both the deployment clock and the maintenance clock are rewinding, but the maintenance clock is going down at about a third of the speed.  What factors, if any, influence this?  Is there anything I can do with ship design, commanders assigned, training, conducting a ritual, or otherwhise to improve how quickly the maintenance clock rewinds? 

• Captain
  • B
Re: Maintenance Clock
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 11:36:55 AM »
It appears the maintenance clock is working at the right speed from the info I can find;  one month of overhaul eliminates three months of maintenance clock.  I guess the remaining question is, why does shore leave/deployment clock rewind work so much faster? 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 12:30:21 PM »
It appears the maintenance clock is working at the right speed from the info I can find;  one month of overhaul eliminates three months of maintenance clock.  I guess the remaining question is, why does shore leave/deployment clock rewind work so much faster?

I think this was an undocumented change at some point, so it is WAI as far as I know just not working "as documented".

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 02:19:53 PM »
why does shore leave/deployment clock rewind work so much faster?
It's always been that way, since the final VB6 releases at least. Presumably to make the distinction between maintenance clock and crew deployment greater.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 02:24:09 PM »
It just seems weird to me to intentionally make that gap and not have anything you can do about it.  Maybe it'll grow on me after a while. 

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 03:04:29 PM »
Having different times for each gives you the option of returning to a population or barracks station for shore leave without an overhaul, which is often a valuable capability in cases where you need ships to be ready to go at a moment's notice (or at least within a few days or weeks, basically less time than the overhaul period). You can also keep a ship running way past its listed maint life by resupplying its MSP stores, while crew deployment is a harder stop as once you tick over the limit you immediately get penalties. So it makes sense that the relatively harsher limit is easier to address, even if in most cases you address everything at the same time in one go.

Offline Demonides

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 11:14:11 AM »
as nuclearslurpee observed - you can bring a ship in for shore leave in between overhauls.  It is a bit easier to drop some infrastructure on a good-looking rock in system and station 10K population there to provide enough local bars to provide shore leave than it is to set up and supply a maintenance depot.

Offline Serina

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2023, 05:26:58 PM »
As a result, it's not inconceivable to create a vessel with a significantly longer maintenance life than it's deployment time, especially if it's being sent out for a "Tour" or some kind of longer patrol, or even planetary defense. Longer deployment times have steep internal costs in terms of needing extra crew space etc, and for some vessels, that might be a substantial source of maintenance costs. Thus by having shorter deployments but without doing overhauls, you could theoretically reduce overall maintenance cost and perhaps more importantly ship size.