Author Topic: Cycling orders  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Stardust (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • S
Cycling orders
« on: December 12, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
I've noticed that if I set orders as such:

1.  Refuel from Earth
2.  Load automated mine from Earth
3.  Transit Stevenage jump point
4.  Transit Birmingham jump point
5.  Transit Aberdeen jump point
4.  Transit Swansea jump point
5.  Unload automated mines Swansea-A VI

and select cycle, after it unloads the automated mines, instead of going back through all the jump points to Earth to refuel, it heads to the invisible Stevenage jump point directly from Swansea.   It works fine, but I'm curious as to what's going on.

Offline Bandus

• Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
  • Discord Username: Bandus#6943
Re: Cycling orders
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:41:57 PM »
I feel like the game has always made me start and end a group of orders in the same system before I could activate cycling. For example, the orders would have to look like this:

1.) Refuel from Earth
2.) Load automated mine from Earth
3.) Transit Stevenage jump point
4.) Transit Birmingham jump point
5.) Transit Aberdeen jump point
6.) Transit Swansea jump point
7.) Unload automated mine Swansea-A VI
8.) Transit Aberdeen jump point
9.) Transit Birmingham jump point
10.) Transit Stevenage jump point
11.) Transit Sol jump point.

Then a cycle order should work normally. I recall getting error message when trying to set it to cycle without starting and ending the same system.
"Just this once --- everybody lives!" - My Doctor

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
I was aware that choosing to repeat orders a certain number of times requires the orders to start and end in the same sytem, but was not aware of the same for cycling orders.

This works for me and no errors are generated.  The first time I noticed this I looked a little closer for the invisible jump point and went to see if I can directly order a ship in Swansea to jump to Stevenage, without success.

Offline Stardust (OP)

• S
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:10:08 PM »
Upon further investigation, setting up orders in this way seems to completely avoid the return trip, however long.

After Unloading the mines, it thinks it's now in the Sol system and picks an imaginary point in Swansea to refuel and load more mines.  Successfully reloaded, it now picks a point in Swansea at the same distance and bearing between earth and the Stevenage jump point to jump to Stevenage and continue its endless journey. 

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »
Upon further investigation, setting up orders in this way seems to completely avoid the return trip, however long.

After Unloading the mines, it thinks it's now in the Sol system and picks an imaginary point in Swansea to refuel and load more mines.  Successfully reloaded, it now picks a point in Swansea at the same distance and bearing between earth and the Stevenage jump point to jump to Stevenage and continue its endless journey. 

Must be posted in bug tread, i think.