Author Topic: Factory, Mine compatability  (Read 1295 times)

Offline schroeam (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
Factory, Mine compatability
« on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »
Steve,

What about placing a retooling requirement for factories, mines, etc either recovered or captured through conquest in order for your Imperial population to use them.  I mean, not everyone has eight fingers, four feet and six eyes.  The retooling could be accomplished by combat engineers, or factories transported to the planet.  This way you don't move into a planet the day after you kill off all the enemy citizens and start building missiles and heavy armor units with your own citizenry.  Of course this wouldn't be an issue if you conquered the enemy, but for those races bent on domination through annihilation, this would be a hurdle they would have to get over.

Adam.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Factory, Mine compatability
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Steve,

What about placing a retooling requirement for factories, mines, etc either recovered or captured through conquest in order for your Imperial population to use them.  I mean, not everyone has eight fingers, four feet and six eyes.  The retooling could be accomplished by combat engineers, or factories transported to the planet.  This way you don't move into a planet the day after you kill off all the enemy citizens and start building missiles and heavy armor units with your own citizenry.  Of course this wouldn't be an issue if you conquered the enemy, but for those races bent on domination through annihilation, this would be a hurdle they would have to get over.

Adam.
I agree, and, due to the different physical characteristics, the retooling of a factory to allow a race with only 2 opposable thumbs to use a factory designed for a race with 4 thumbs (of are 10 feet tall etc) could be almost as much as building a new facility.
Welchbloke

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
Steve,

It is an interesting point. However, if this rule was applied then it would also have to apply to any transfers of installations between different species within the same Empire. It might get too complex to keep track of which species built every installation in the game and you would have to list them separately on the summary window if one planet had installaioins built by multiple species. The same multi-species Empire would have also need the option to build factories for different species within that Empire, would which also get complex. I am concerned that it would add a lot of complexity without a significant increase in gameplay.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:28:43 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Steve,

It is an interesting point. However, if this rule was applied then it would also have to apply to any transfers of installations between different species within the same Empire. It might get too complex to keep track of which species built every installation in the game and you would have to list them separately on the summary window if one planet had installaioins built by multiple species. The same multi-species Empire would have also need the option to build factories for different species within that Empire, would which also get complex. I am concerned that it would add a lot of complexity without a significant increase in gameplay.

Steve
Good point, for game balance reasons you could assume that multi-species empires built multi-species factories but a conquering race would still be required to re-tool them.  Actually I'm changing my mind as I write this; I now think that you would end up with a significant increae in complexity without much increase in gameplay.  Hmmm I seem to have completey changed opinion in the space a single post. :shock:
Welchbloke

Offline schroeam (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 08:51:57 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
Steve,

Steve
Good point, for game balance reasons you could assume that multi-species empires built multi-species factories but a conquering race would still be required to re-tool them.  Actually I'm changing my mind as I write this; I now think that you would end up with a significant increae in complexity without much increase in gameplay.  Hmmm I seem to have completey changed opinion in the space a single post. :shock:

Not having thought about the complexity of the change, I agree that it is probably not worth the effort.

Adam.