Author Topic: Task Force Training Question  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Task Force Training Question
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:48:23 AM »
Steve -

I've got a TF, composed of three ships, and I've given them the order to begin Task Force Training.  "Currently on Task Force Training Exercise" appears on the TF display, and the task force is zipping all over the inner system making a nusance of itself, just as it should.  However, it does not seem to be accumulating any TF training points, and it has been out now for at least a month.  

Have I missed something, as usual?

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Task Force Training Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

I've got a TF, composed of three ships, and I've given them the order to begin Task Force Training.  "Currently on Task Force Training Exercise" appears on the TF display, and the task force is zipping all over the inner system making a nusance of itself, just as it should.  However, it does not seem to be accumulating any TF training points, and it has been out now for at least a month.  

Kurt

Is the Task Force assigned a commander?  Does one of the ships have a flag bridge?  Is the TF commander on the Flag Bridge?  Those are ones that usually trip me up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Task Force Training Question
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Steve -

Kurt

Is the Task Force assigned a commander?  Does one of the ships have a flag bridge?  Is the TF commander on the Flag Bridge?  Those are ones that usually trip me up.

All of the ships have commanders, and there is a Task Force Commander on Earth, and the ships are in the Solar System, so they shouldn't need a flag bridge, right?

Kurt

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
Does your task force commander have a Crew Training Rating?  Do you have an Operations officer with an Operations bonus?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 11:22:15 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Does your task force commander have a Crew Training Rating?  Do you have an Operations officer with an Operations bonus?

Bingo.  I let the program assign commanders, and only one of the staff officers has any bonus at all, and it isn't training.  Oh well.  Right now the Alliance, and all of the nations, are hard pressed to fill all their command slots, and that will likely continue for some time.  

Kurt

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 03:06:27 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Bingo.  I let the program assign commanders, and only one of the staff officers has any bonus at all, and it isn't training.  Oh well.  Right now the Alliance, and all of the nations, are hard pressed to fill all their command slots, and that will likely continue for some time.  

The task force training amount is based on the crew training ratings of the task force commander and the operations officer. On the task force window there is an overall training rating shown in the Overall Command Staff Attributes section.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
The task force training amount is based on the crew training ratings of the task force commander and the operations officer. On the task force window there is an overall training rating shown in the Overall Command Staff Attributes section.

Hi Steve,

Do you want to put some sort of base training rate on a task force which has no such bonuses (e.g. 50% or maybe even 100%).  At present, I think training is completely ineffective in such a circumstance.

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 09:48:47 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Hi Steve,

Do you want to put some sort of base training rate on a task force which has no such bonuses (e.g. 50% or maybe even 100%).  At present, I think training is completely ineffective in such a circumstance.

John

I can attest to the fact that it is completely useless  :D .  When I checked the bonuses on the task force window, my task force only had one bonus, and it wasn't to training, which is why no points were accumulating due to training.  

I could see maybe some minimal amount accruing even if there are no bonuses, but, on the other hand, if everyone in your chain of command is crappy at training, it shouldn't be surprising that training doesn't do much for you.  

Kurt

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »
The problem is that characteristics of leaders only show bonuses. THere are some cases (like the various training areas) where a leader without a bonus should have some base amount of ability.

Of course this also opens up the possibility of ability penalties (for the truely inept commanders...).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Randy »