Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 254633 times)

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2019, 05:15:11 AM »
Its so hauntingly quite :)
Are there any updates on campaign?

The following users thanked this post: Up_down66

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »

I've been busy with work and family stuff the last week or so, although I've done another 18 months on the Cold Sun campaign. I am going to take a break from the campaign now though I think and dive into AI combat and diplomacy. Economics, etc. is working fine. I might also reduce terraforming speed a little based on the Cold Sun campaign, as it is very easy to create terraforming space stations and smaller worlds are very easy to terraform now due to the size changes. Experimentation needed. Very happy with the wealth changes though.

The following users thanked this post: waresky, JakeLoustone, Garfunkel, Marski, snapto, JacenHan, V1D0, firsal, bro918, Up_down66, Rye123

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »

I've been busy with work and family stuff the last week or so, although I've done another 18 months on the Cold Sun campaign. I am going to take a break from the campaign now though I think and dive into AI combat and diplomacy. Economics, etc. is working fine. I might also reduce terraforming speed a little based on the Cold Sun campaign, as it is very easy to create terraforming space stations and smaller worlds are very easy to terraform now due to the size changes. Experimentation needed. Very happy with the wealth changes though.

Thank you ! AI changes/updates are the most exciting in C# Aurora for me, take your time with them :)

Offline Impassive

• Gold Supporter
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2019, 12:44:43 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg112879#msg112879 date=1550950232
Quote from: Shuul link=topic=10096. msg112877#msg112877 date=1550920511

I've been busy with work and family stuff the last week or so, although I've done another 18 months on the Cold Sun campaign.  I am going to take a break from the campaign now though I think and dive into AI combat and diplomacy.  Economics, etc.  is working fine.  I might also reduce terraforming speed a little based on the Cold Sun campaign, as it is very easy to create terraforming space stations and smaller worlds are very easy to terraform now due to the size changes.  Experimentation needed.  Very happy with the wealth changes though.

Great to hear the other things are working fine, how much more is there to do with the AI & Diplomacy?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2019, 07:28:03 AM »
Great to hear the other things are working fine, how much more is there to do with the AI & Diplomacy?

I haven't even started Diplomacy (apart from establishing communication). For the AI, exploration, economy and fleet deployment is pretty much done. I need to work on combat and diplomacy.

The following users thanked this post: waresky, solops, Garfunkel, Madzak, Up_down66, Stryker

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
As a result of playtesting in the Cold Sun campaign, I have reduced terraforming speed further. It is now 75% slower than VB6 for Earth size worlds, about 10% slower for Mars and about 3.4x faster for the Moon.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg102115#msg102115

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Garfunkel, JacenHan, DEEPenergy, Stryker

Offline Breadabix

• Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »
Honestly Id be happy with a release without ai, I like exploring but it gets too laggy later game atm.

The following users thanked this post: Mastik

Offline Desdinova

• Lt. Commander
  • D
« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2019, 07:25:40 PM »
As a result of playtesting in the Cold Sun campaign, I have reduced terraforming speed further. It is now 75% slower than VB6 for Earth size worlds, about 10% slower for Mars and about 3.4x faster for the Moon.

I suspect the volume of atmosphere depends on the surface area of the planet, correct? So the time required is proportional to the square of the radius?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2019, 06:02:17 AM »

I suspect the volume of atmosphere depends on the surface area of the planet, correct? So the time required is proportional to the square of the radius?

Yes, that's correct.

The following users thanked this post: JakeLoustone

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #189 on: March 05, 2019, 04:23:31 AM »

Won't that make most terraforming candidates so long to terraform that it's useless to do so ? And moons absurdly overpowered in comparison ?

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #190 on: March 05, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »

Won't that make most terraforming candidates so long to terraform that it's useless to do so ? And moons absurdly overpowered in comparison ?

I've found that building up a large terraforming capacity is a lot easier in C# due to the ability to crank out large terraforming space stations on demand, rather than being limited by shipyard capacity and tooling. Also, unless terraforming is slowed down, small worlds are too easy to terraform. Anything less than 0.1G can't be terraformed so Earth Moon-sized is at the low end of the range. The reality is though that small worlds would be easier to terraform so they do have an advantage in terraforming speed, but a disadvantage in capacity, especially if tide-locked.

Offline tobijon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • t
« Reply #191 on: March 05, 2019, 04:58:56 AM »
Tidal lock wouldn't be a problem for moons though. The ease at which you can get more terraforming capacity concerns me, I don't think terraforming a planet or moon should be a trivial matter, even for a large empire.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #192 on: March 05, 2019, 08:04:05 AM »
I've found that building up a large terraforming capacity is a lot easier in C# due to the ability to crank out large terraforming space stations on demand, rather than being limited by shipyard capacity and tooling. Also, unless terraforming is slowed down, small worlds are too easy to terraform. Anything less than 0.1G can't be terraformed so Earth Moon-sized is at the low end of the range. The reality is though that small worlds would be easier to terraform so they do have an advantage in terraforming speed, but a disadvantage in capacity, especially if tide-locked.

Hi Steve,

Are you using (SurfaceArea/SurfaceGravity) for your terraforming rate (as was suggested a couple of years ago in C++ Suggestions and just flared up again in C# Suggestions)?  That would help slow down small worlds, and it has the added benefit of being correct physics :)  The reason for the factor of 1/SurfaceGravity is that pressure comes from the weight of air above you; if gravity is 10x weaker you need to have 10x as much air above you to get the same pressure.  Don't remember if you coded this up when it first came up....

John

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #193 on: March 05, 2019, 09:02:52 AM »
Hi Steve,

Are you using (SurfaceArea/SurfaceGravity) for your terraforming rate (as was suggested a couple of years ago in C++ Suggestions and just flared up again in C# Suggestions)?  That would help slow down small worlds, and it has the added benefit of being correct physics :)  The reason for the factor of 1/SurfaceGravity is that pressure comes from the weight of air above you; if gravity is 10x weaker you need to have 10x as much air above you to get the same pressure.  Don't remember if you coded this up when it first came up....

John

No, I am using EarthSurfaceArea/SurfaceArea.

I'll take a look at the suggestion.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
Another milestone. This is an AI squadron that has detected a player ship, moved within range and launched missiles.

The basic code is done for decisions on active sensor activation (when, why) and firing decisions (when to fire, what to fire at and why). These will need a little more attention as more complex situations arise, but that should be fine-tuning.

Some of the code is in place for how the System AI deploys its available forces to deal with threats, but that is a lot more complex, especially when facing multiple hostile forces and when deciding whether to be aggressive or not. The AI may now run away or seek the cover of planetary defences, instead of blindly attacking, which requires more decision-making. The Race AI also has to respond to threats on an Empire-wide level as well. So this area of the code will be my focus now.