Author Topic: How to explore warp points  (Read 1705 times)

Offline gregor40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
How to explore warp points
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:01 AM »
Hi there!

I went through the tutorials, managed to bring some ships to the space. I explored the SOL a bit, found some Warp Points. They show up as (unexplored).

I have a task group with 1 grav survey ship (with military jump drive). I order the task group to go to Jump point #1 (unexplored) and transit. I get the Space Master pass prompt and when I cancel (don't want to use SM) - I get the info that "You are not cleared to explore warp points".

What am I doing wrong?

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: How to explore warp points
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »
Not using the SM Password.

However you can also make the jump by using the transit order in the task group screen for the jumpship. The Explore command tgives information about the system/generates it without one of your ships going through the jump point , ueful if you are setting up a multisystem empire

Offline gregor40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »
I dont have the "explore" option for the task group. The only option is to "transit" or "Combat Transit" (and few other, all nothing to do with the exploration of the Jump Point)

Is the only option to explore the Jump Point to use the SM pass? It makes me feel like cheating, as doing something outside the normal game mechanics.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:51:41 AM »
Quote from: "gregor40"
Hi there!

I went through the tutorials, managed to bring some ships to the space. I explored the SOL a bit, found some Warp Points. They show up as (unexplored).

I have a task group with 1 grav survey ship (with military jump drive). I order the task group to go to Jump point #1 (unexplored) and transit. I get the Space Master pass prompt and when I cancel (don't want to use SM) - I get the info that "You are not cleared to explore warp points".

What am I doing wrong?

Hitting OK is fine, it does not enable the SM mode in full, it just allows the first time transit of an unexplored JP. I think Steve mentioned that he does this as a control on multi player games.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
Guys not take SM Mode ON ever..ALL uncertain are LOST.
better play in SM mode OFF.
Ever.
trust me.:)

Offline gregor40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »
Quote from: "waresky"
Guys not take SM Mode ON ever..ALL uncertain are LOST.
better play in SM mode OFF.
Ever.
trust me.:)

Ok, so how to explore this Warp Point then?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
Quote from: "gregor40"
Hi there!

What am I doing wrong?
To deal with multi-player games, SM authorisation is required to enter jump points. Assuming the SM password is blank, which is the default, you can just hit OK when the box pops up. That doesn't switch SM mode on - it just allows the jump. I tend to play solo with SM mode on anyway so I hadn't noticed this.

This check was added in the days before NPRs and Precursors so now that solo vs computer games are more prevalent I should probably look at this again. Maybe if there is only one non-NPR race, I should waive the requirement for the SM check.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
As almost all games are solo, I have removed the SM check for jump point exploration in v4.5

Steve

Offline gregor40 (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • g
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
Thank you Steve! And kudos to you for a magnificient game!