Author Topic: JumpDrive-self only does size matters?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline orfeusz (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
JumpDrive-self only does size matters?
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »
If i want a military ship with only self-jump ability, does the max ship size in project creation matters? Or can i set it to smallest possible?
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: JumpDrive-self only does size matters?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »
The jump engine must have the capacity to jump the ship it is on.  When you have some higher levels of jump tech and want a small ship then you will find that they can be smaller if you only want them to jump.  An example would be jump size multiplier of 5, and you want a 20 hull space ship with its own jump engine.  For that you will only need 4 hull spaces of engine.  A 3 hull space jump engine would not let you jump.  Look at the error messages on the ship design screen.  It will tell you if the ship is to big.

This works quite well for a probe ship that is going through to make sure the jump point is clear before the fleet comes through.

Brian

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
The best way to know if an engine will jump your current design is to add up the size of the engine in the research component window and the ship with all its intended equipement. You will also need to think about the armor level as well since it will be adding to the size.  To be certain I add components equaling the size of the engine to be certain of things like total size and speed.

Offline jRides

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
Concerning size, the actual size of of a ship is often rounded up or down, does anyone know if the value checked is this rounded up size - as reported on the design - or the absolute size as shown on the sidebar during design?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:44:11 AM »
Rounded up size for jump capacity, rounded down for other ships jumping compared to the jump ship.  In other words the worst of both worlds.  It rarely makes a difference as I will always try to increase the ship size to max out the final hull space by putting more fuel/maintenance on the ship.

Brian