Author Topic: Need a bit of advice. :)  (Read 5419 times)

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Need a bit of advice. :)
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:50 PM »
Well, I have a Gov, automated mines, and a mass driver on Mercury. After all, with THAT temp, I'd hardly recommend it as a vacation spot. :)

Eric

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 12:13:33 AM »
Hmmm. Interesting. Transited the first WP in Tau Ceti and entered Sigma Draconis, and it has a habitable planet too, though a .48 cost due
to a -88 temp. The third planet also has an oxy-nitro atmosphere but needs some terraforming due to VERY low air pressure. :)
Now another question. How do you guys expand? Do you wait for colonies to become more populated and then expand further, or do you go
out as many transits as your ships can go?

Eric

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 12:31:37 AM »
For me, anything 2.0 or less on cost gets a population. 2.0 to 4.0, it depends on the minerals. Anything else that has a good mineral content is a mining colony. And ruins. Ruins are good too.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:02 AM »
I have wrecked my economy by trying to expand into too many areas. Doing Constructon, Research, Colonisation, Exploration, Ship Building all at the same time at the rate I am trying to do it just stalls everything.

So be careful and do what I didn't do .. make a '5-year plan'!!

Only just recently have I managed to get to a point were my mining and construction are near level. It doesn't help that my Sol is resource poor, 100k duranium on Earth at the start and only a 3/4 other solar bodies with ~100k duranium which requires expensive automated mines to get at.

The system next door to Sol has NPRs/Precursors (for my game) and every time I try to snipe them I get my ass handed to me which wastes even more resources. And because I am pushing to get a big ship into play with strong armour, high speed, high maneuvering and high yield missiles I am diverting from economy, mining and construction projects.

I love it! Although I would be dead by now if the bad guys were able to use the JG into Sol.

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 10:36:46 AM »
Well, I'm fortunate that I have not run into Precursers yet. I'm letting the colonies grow with materials mass drivered from other bodies in their
respective systems, while I concentrate on Sol for the moment. I've got, what I think, is a good fleet. Though it is small, don't want to overload
the economy, as I don't know quite how it works yet. Though good is relative. I'm sure the Precursers would show me just how 'good' my ships are,
when I meet them. :)

Eric

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
1 Mass Driver to catch, 1 on each planet to throw.

Though as a personal habit, I keep one to catch per incoming driver.

As for the infrastructure, it is not 1-1, but I cannot tell you what it is. :(
The infrastructure required formula is: Population in millions * 100 * ColCost

So for a population of 10 million with col cost 2, the required infrastructure is: 10 x 100 x 2 = 2000

For a population of 15 million with col cost 3.5, the required infrastructure is: 15 x 100 x 3.5 = 5250

For a population of 31.83m and cost cost 1.2342 (my own game), infrastructure is: 31.83 x 100 x 1.2342 = 3928

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I have wrecked my economy by trying to expand into too many areas. Doing Constructon, Research, Colonisation, Exploration, Ship Building all at the same time at the rate I am trying to do it just stalls everything.

So be careful and do what I didn't do .. make a '5-year plan'!!

Only just recently have I managed to get to a point were my mining and construction are near level. It doesn't help that my Sol is resource poor, 100k duranium on Earth at the start and only a 3/4 other solar bodies with ~100k duranium which requires expensive automated mines to get at.

The system next door to Sol has NPRs/Precursors (for my game) and every time I try to snipe them I get my ass handed to me which wastes even more resources. And because I am pushing to get a big ship into play with strong armour, high speed, high maneuvering and high yield missiles I am diverting from economy, mining and construction projects.

I love it! Although I would be dead by now if the bad guys were able to use the JG into Sol.
It sounds like you are having fun :)

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
Quote from: "Starkiller"
Well, I'm fortunate that I have not run into Precursers yet. I'm letting the colonies grow with materials mass drivered from other bodies in their
respective systems, while I concentrate on Sol for the moment. I've got, what I think, is a good fleet. Though it is small, don't want to overload
the economy, as I don't know quite how it works yet. Though good is relative. I'm sure the Precursers would show me just how 'good' my ships are,
when I meet them. :)
The economy can be tricky to manage in Aurora as I wanted to get away from the 'rich get richer' problem common to many 4x games. You can crash even a large Aurora economy if you don't watch out for looming shortages.

Steve

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
I just thought of something, based on something you mentioned earlier on. You mentioned to be sure the colony had a mass driver to 'catch' incoming
mineral packets or unfortunate things could happen. Using that thought, could a mass driver be used as a weapon, if one is feeling particularly Nasty? :)

Eric

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »
I just thought of something, based on something you mentioned earlier on. You mentioned to be sure the colony had a mass driver to 'catch' incoming
mineral packets or unfortunate things could happen. Using that thought, could a mass driver be used as a weapon, if one is feeling particularly Nasty? :)

Eric

If you dig through either mechanics or bugs, there is a posting where I neglected to have an incoming MD. It was not pretty.

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
Yes, you can do that. Just ensure you throw as large a packet as possible because it won't take long to build a mass driver at the target :)

Steve

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Hooo boy! First Tau Ceti with 6 WPs, now Sigma Draconis with 5 WPs. All of a sudden, I feel rather anxious with so few warships. Guess what my
shipyards are doing. :) At least Proxima had only the one to Sol. Steve, did you put closed WPs in Aurora? Should I be paranoid? Heh. Sent survey ships
through 3 of the 5 unexplored points in Tau Ceti. One was a star with no planets, but the other 2 have possiblities. I love oxy-nitro atmospheres that
only need a bit of terraforming to get them breathable, and those two systems have 3 between them. One is so earthlike, it's uncanny. It has a breathable
atmosphere, but a 2 cost factor due to presence of sulphur dioxide. Can't have everything. Just praying I don't run into any nasties, as my navy is getting
rather overstretched until the new construction is completed.

Eric

Offline Starkiller (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »

In this pic, you see the WP/JP to Tau Ceti has a red square around it. Anyone know why?

Eric

Online Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 03:23:58 PM »
There is a jump gate at that Jump point. It will be listed with a [JG] after it in your Task Force screen as well

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
Hooo boy! First Tau Ceti with 6 WPs, now Sigma Draconis with 5 WPs. All of a sudden, I feel rather anxious with so few warships. Guess what my
shipyards are doing. :) At least Proxima had only the one to Sol. Steve, did you put closed WPs in Aurora? Should I be paranoid? Heh. Sent survey ships
through 3 of the 5 unexplored points in Tau Ceti. One was a star with no planets, but the other 2 have possiblities. I love oxy-nitro atmospheres that
only need a bit of terraforming to get them breathable, and those two systems have 3 between them. One is so earthlike, it's uncanny. It has a breathable
atmosphere, but a 2 cost factor due to presence of sulphur dioxide. Can't have everything. Just praying I don't run into any nasties, as my navy is getting
rather overstretched until the new construction is completed.
Aurora has dormant jump points rather than closed. A dormant jump point can't be detected until a ship has moved through it from the far side. After that point it is detected normally. So from a security point of view, it is possible an alien race could arrive in one of your core systems. Also, if you have a ship close enough to detect a transit, that jump point will become charted even if you didn't know it existed.

Steve