Author Topic: Building PDC bases  (Read 1794 times)

Offline AtomikKrab (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
Building PDC bases
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:01:27 PM »
I am trying to construct beam based PDCs but I have no real idea what they need and other issues

1. do they need fuel storage for the reactors or is it based off the planetary supply?

2. how exactly do the targetting arrays work, if I put them all on one array will I get a focused fire like I want for my giant ones, or is there a limit per array,

3. do I need crew quarters? I am assuming I do

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Building PDC bases
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:13:20 PM »
Quote from: "AtomikKrab"
I am trying to construct beam based PDCs but I have no real idea what they need and other issues

1. do they need fuel storage for the reactors or is it based off the planetary supply?

2. how exactly do the targetting arrays work, if I put them all on one array will I get a focused fire like I want for my giant ones, or is there a limit per array,

3. do I need crew quarters? I am assuming I do

1. Fuel only is for shields and engines. Reactors do not use sorium-based fuel.
2. Each fire control can only target 1 thing at a time. So if you have 10 lasers connected to 1 fire control, all 10 would shoot at the target.
3. Yes.

Offline AtomikKrab (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
thanks

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »
AAAND the big killer, if theres an atmosphere, Meson's are the only Beam weapon worth the time to install, none of the others actually will do damage (lasers will on a thin enough atmosphere, but not on a 1 atm one)

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:03:15 AM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
AAAND the big killer, if theres an atmosphere, Meson's are the only Beam weapon worth the time to install, none of the others actually will do damage (lasers will on a thin enough atmosphere, but not on a 1 atm one)

Matt

Aww crap... What about for point-defence?

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:06:39 AM »
Quote from: "Magnnus"

Matt

Same...  The only beam that is not effected by atmosphere is meson.  

Missile PD (ie counter missiles) work just fine.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
I have tried putting Beam armed bases on the moons of the planet I want to defend , while the missile armed bases are under the protection of the atmosphere. Problem is that the moons are usually too easy to bypass.
You can shoot through an atmosphere with other energy weapons as well as lasers but only if it is less than 1 atmosphere pressure , I have used railguns and plasma carronades for orbital bombardment of enemy troops.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »

Matt

The best bet for point defence of planets is orbital point defence bases. On automated point blank mode they will protect the planet against missile attack. If you have enough maintenance facilities on the planet below you won't have any maintenance failures. Unlike PDCs, you can also tow them to another planet if necessary.

Steve

Offline Magnnus

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
Is being able to use lasers on planets with or without an atmosphere of 1 a boolean? Or does it's effectiveness scale as the atmospheric pressure goes up?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 07:41:28 PM »
Is being able to use lasers on planets with or without an atmosphere of 1 a boolean? Or does it's effectiveness scale as the atmospheric pressure goes up?

IIRC, damage is multiplied by (1-pressure_expressed_in_units_of_1_earth_atmosphere), rounded down to the nearest integer.

So a strength-2 hit on a world with 0.66 pressure would be 1.32 rounded down to 1; with .49 pressure it would be .98 rounded down to 0.

I'm fairly certain about the multiplier, but don't remember if it affects damage or something else.

You should be able to do a search in the forum for "atmosphere" and "beam" and turn something up....  (Haven't tried it, just guessing.)

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

IIRC, damage is multiplied by (1-pressure_expressed_in_units_of_1_earth_atmosphere), rounded down to the nearest integer.

So a strength-2 hit on a world with 0.66 pressure would be 1.32 rounded down to 1; with .49 pressure it would be .98 rounded down to 0.

I'm fairly certain about the multiplier, but don't remember if it affects damage or something else.

You should be able to do a search in the forum for "atmosphere" and "beam" and turn something up....  (Haven't tried it, just guessing.)

John

Yep - found this thread by searching for "atmosphere beam" - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1550&p=14046&hilit=atmosphere+beam#p14046  I realized after doing the search that it's usually a good idea to filter on only posts from *Steve* (he has two accounts) to cut down on noise :-)

And reading the post made me realize my examples were backwards - .66 pressure results in 2*(1-.66) = .68 which rounds to zero, while .49 results in 2*(1-.49) = 1.02 which rounds to 1.

John