Author Topic: Tips for new players  (Read 58853 times)

Offline Deutschbag

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: Pwnzerfaust
Re: Tips for new players
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
Well, if you build the base in a system with major maintenance facilities and you have a dedicated tug class, shouldn't be too much of a problem. In fact, what I'd recommend is holding a base in reserve above your planet, and then when the time comes for overhaul, drag the reserve base over to the point the other one is at, take the one you had stationed back for overhaul, and when it's done, it becomes your reserve station.

This is all hypothetical on my part, as I've never done that before.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »
You could also put a defensive maintenance base on an Asteroid near a Wormhole, or use a Base with a very high amount of Engineering stations to increase endurance.
Missilearmed fighters can be below 150 tons and reach around 200mm/s on high tech levels.
Beam armed is a lot harder, Small Gauss Rifles might be a solution.

You can also place Mines on the spot, which double as disposeable sensors, and if you have that asteroid, a Missile Base might be a solution.
If you have "Buffer Systems" with Pickets, you can also have a Strikegroup of Gunboats ready and only move out when you think your Being attacked.
Or cycle two disposeable Jump Point Guards.

Offline Chairman

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 08:10:41 AM »
Tankers

Could anyone give a sample tanker???
I managed to get my cargo fleet stuck (No fuel, in swedish that would bee `soppatorsk` :oops: ) in an adjacent starsystem but can get fuel there, my trooptransports were there and moved to my ships but they can´t transfer some fuel so I can go home

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 08:32:48 AM »
Quote from: "Chairman"
Tankers

Could anyone give a sample tanker???
I managed to get my cargo fleet stuck (No fuel, in swedish that would bee `soppatorsk` :oops: ) in an adjacent starsystem but can get fuel there, my trooptransports were there and moved to my ships but they can´t transfer some fuel so I can go home
If you use the F6 Individual Ships Screen and select the Miscellaneous tab you can manually transfer fuel between ships in the same location.  

This is my small tanker design:
Code: [Select]
Cnicht Batch 3 class Tanker    44500 tons     2171 Crew     7716.6 BP      TCS 890  TH 5000  EM 0
5617 km/s     Armour 1-111     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 108 MSP    Max Repair 125 MSP

Donkey Mk2 SCAM (10)    Power 500    Fuel Use 5%    Signature 500    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 30,850,000 Litres    Range 24953.0 billion km   (51416 days at full power)

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
This is my supertanker design:
Code: [Select]
Esgair Ddu Batch 3 class Tanker    106000 tons     5464 Crew     19094.2 BP      TCS 2120  TH 9000  EM 0
4245 km/s     Armour 1-199     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 113 MSP    Max Repair 125 MSP

Donkey Mk2 SCAM (18)    Power 500    Fuel Use 5%    Signature 500    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 81,400,000 Litres    Range 27643.4 billion km   (75370 days at full power)

This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes
NB: These designs have very good engine tech compared to most small races at start.
Welchbloke

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
those tankers are late game high tech things - look at the power ration of the engines - 500
My magnetic engine tankers (level 4 I think) hold 5,000,000 litres and have a speed of about 2000k
I have found that building troop transports with a sorium unit or 2 on board is really really handy design as they spend a lot of time siting around waiting for the next garrison transfer etc - so mine sit at gas giants and provide fuel for nearby colonies as a bonus.
I refit my freighters every 2 or so engine techs -
I tried mixed colony/cargo but have gone back to dedicated ships of each type - mostly 25,000 cargo as I find single ships more flexible - but I do have a 50,000 ton design I use in small numbers.

Offline LeonTheNorse

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • L
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
How do i do a geo survey?

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:42 AM »
How do i do a geo survey?

Build a ship with geographical scanners, and give it orders to do a geological survey on a planet/moon/asteroid/comet.

Offline fergeh

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »
Got a fair start in the sol system, but I haven't touched military craft of any sort at all.  What exactly does a ship with weapons need? What do I research? What is the easiest form of weapons to start with? I've got some very basic meson tech which I was hoping to put into a PDC but am really not sure how to go about this

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
Got a fair start in the sol system, but I haven't touched military craft of any sort at all.  What exactly does a ship with weapons need? What do I research? What is the easiest form of weapons to start with? I've got some very basic meson tech which I was hoping to put into a PDC but am really not sure how to go about this

Tutorial 4 should cover what you need. Either here or on the wiki.

Offline fergeh

• Leading Rate
  • f
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 05:42:22 PM »
Well I did follow that one to make my survey craft, but unless I'm missing something obvious it doesn't really explain what is required to control weapons.  From what I've seen of the game so far, I'm assuming you don't just slap the cannon on and away you go ;).  Something to do with control systems or something?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
Wiki is your friend, as are the numerous threads on the Academy board.

In short, you go with either beam weapons or missiles.

With missiles, you need:
1. Launcher to shoot the missiles
2. Magazine to store more missiles
3. Missile Fire Control to aim the launcher
4. Active Search Sensor to find a target.
5. Missile designs built in ordnance factories

With beam weapons (including rail guns), you need:
1. Beam weapon on board
2. Power generator to feed it energy
3. Beam Fire Control to aim the weapon
4. Active Search Sensor to find a target.

ASS does not need to be on the same ship but M/B FC has to be.

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »
As I saw in the Tutorial, the geolocial and grav survey ships are designed as military vessels with military engines.

Why is that? Why would I want to do that instead of making them commercial vessels?
Not having to care about maintenance seems like a big pro for these ships as they tend to fly out there for a loooooooooooong time.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »
As I saw in the Tutorial, the geolocial and grav survey ships are designed as military vessels with military engines.

Why is that? Why would I want to do that instead of making them commercial vessels?
Not having to care about maintenance seems like a big pro for these ships as they tend to fly out there for a loooooooooooong time.

The original tutorial predates commercial engines in Aurora.  You can build these ships with commercials but grav sensors are military which prohibits those ships from benefiting on the maintenance side of things.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »

Its pretty much just a matter of personal preference. The commercial engines are a lot more cost effective but you need a larger commercial yard to build them in and a larger commercial jump engine to move around. To keep the ship as a commercial design you are also pretty restriced on the sensors you can mount which means it may well stray into hostiles with little or no warning, the increased ship size also means it can be spotted by enemy sensors more easily. However, as you say they can stay out in space for a hell of a lot longer and no need to have them off line for months at a time to re-fit.

Easiest thing to do is try a few games with alternative strategies and just see which one you find preferable.

Offline Sarganto

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:37 AM »
you are also pretty restriced on the sensors
Restricted to?

The original tutorial predates commercial engines in Aurora.   You can build these ships with commercials but grav sensors are military which prohibits those ships from benefiting on the maintenance side of things.
But geological survey ships would work, right?