Author Topic: Military Plan for ion level tech  (Read 2570 times)

Offline hunter james (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • h
Military Plan for ion level tech
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
So I recently started my second game of aurora no npc's and a small chance of them spawning in a nearby system. I was playing as an isolationist nation seeing as I had plenty of resources in my home system and there were no npc's to the lag the game to no end( though I had to not display fleets because shipping line ships cause my game to freeze for minutes with map updates. Can we please get a don't show Commercial Fleet option instead of just a regular turn on and off fleet display please steve?). So I was not making much of a military. Most of my military was comprised of two pdc groups on earth and luna. I had just jumped to the second system before my first problem occurred. I certain Spoiler showed up (Invaders with their blasted wormholes) and I sent my only two military jump ships out to fight them. I knew I was going to probably die but they were only one jump from sol and I could not resist the possibility to stop them in their tracks.Once they emerged my two ships tried engaging and were destroyed in 1 minute 45 seconds under constant barrage of 83 anti-missile missile salvos. My current problem that I face that I can not seem to overcome is the speed distance. In this game I am only using beam and railgun weapons no missiles and they are currently faster than any fighters I can even design :-C . Any advice posting the details of my civilization below if you have any questions ask me the mark two Carolina class pdc's are only different because they have 12 cm guns and not 10 cm guns.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Military Plan for ion level tech
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »
You could have used the code with copy and paste for you designs btw. [code ]Epic Fighter Design[/code ] (no spaces between the []). On the Forrestal remove the armor and engineering, get the fuel down to 3-5 days (half the current fuel), use a bigger reactor rather than several small ones and reduce the fire control as your fighters speed is so low that the extra targeting speed doesn't matter(discussions about this was in another topic) and see where that gets you. Try to get the smallest possible fighter for what you need.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:23:20 PM by 83athom »
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
Remove the armor and engineering on the fighter, and if you want replace it with more engine. I don't see much use in the strikefighter, as it isn't really fast enough for use against anything other than stationary OWPs or damaged ships. I also hope you don't plan to use those PDCs on Earth, because railguns can't pierce an atmosphere greater than 1.

I'd suggest replacing the fighter concept with a larger FAC, or researching missiles and box launchers.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
Remove the armor and engineering on the fighter, and if you want replace it with more engine. I don't see much use in the strikefighter, as it isn't really fast enough for use against anything other than stationary OWPs or damaged ships. I'd suggest replacing the fighter concept with a larger FAC, or researching missiles and box launchers.
I don't know why he would even use the strikefighter as it doesn't have weapons at all, all it has is a small troop store. If you want to use a dropship design a better one that would ensure that the troops get there (ie armored, shielded, and stealthed {be a while until you get here though}) as well as more engines, I think gunship size (1000 tons) would be perfect. Bring its deployment to 0.1 months, remove engineering (or have 1 or 2 fighter engineering), armor it, more engines, and bring the fuel to 0-3 days (when looking at fighters/gunships fuel, focus on the range of deployment instead of the time the fuel will last {I noticed this when my ships started saying their fuel only lasts 50-100 days but could travel 60b km+}).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

• Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »
I was hoping I could try and use the strikefighter as a last ditch effort it was the fastest ship I could design that was a fighter and thus could build decently quick seeing as I only have one naval yard and one I could just mass launch at the enemy hoping to reach it and drop some troops on it to try and take it over though I don't know if you can do that against these certain enemies. I have 3 ground force training facilities so that is the one thing I have ample supply of troops.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
Since you are low on time (in game as angry spoiler is coming to town) try to build cheap frigates and destroyers. Have them lightly armored 2-5 with missiles (size 3-6) and missile defense (gauss or meson), and larger than normal engine proportion (25%-50% of the ship). Post what you come up with.

• Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
I did these designs before I saw your last post. I don't have any missle research done at all so I am going to try and power through with my 20 research labs and my scientists I will show you my research setup and my shipyard setup aswell. Along with my New orbital base to hold the new fighters I designed based on your old suggestions.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 05:24:53 PM »
Iowa; Doesn't need Engines. Reduce the fuel to about 5 days for your shields. Have the % shields about 10-15% (your current is 6.4%). Try to fit more weapons on it. Needs a missile sensor (resolution 1). Bring up the size, its a station, have fun (I usually have weapons platforms around 40k tons).

Forrestral; Good job on the design.

Shipyards; Build more. Build them bigger. About 1 naval per major class size wold be a good start (4; Capital, Cruiser, Destroyer, Frigate) but more is better (Battlecruiser, gunship, extra, ect). Just up the size and slipways for the commercials (3-5 is plenty your whole game).

Research; Don't worry about the cloaking at the moment, try to take care of research that would immediately help you (weapons, engines, firecontrol, sensors). Btw, you have some nice researchers for early game.

Note; Just so you know, mesons don't do any physical damage, they only mess up electricals (sensors, fire control, engines).
Sorry, I was thinking of HPMs (I don't usually use any of the weapons other than kinetic/missile and lasers). Mesons do inflict physical damage as well ignore armor and shields, but only 1 point of damage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:59:37 PM by 83athom »

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
Note; Just so you know, mesons don't do any physical damage, they only mess up electricals (sensors, fire control, engines).

Nope. Mesons ignore Armor and Shields. They are fairly good if you just want to gut out a ship. Since they ignore Armor they are also good Point Defense when armored missiles are involved.

High Power Microwave are the anti-electrical weapons. HPMs are good against Sensors and Shields and ignore Armor. If you catch someone without Shields they will quickly be blind. In "Class Design" under "DAC/Rank/Iinfo" you will find "Electronic Only DAC". That is the chart for HPM hits.