Author Topic: New Planet Images  (Read 15286 times)

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
New Planet Images
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:06:08 AM »
Here's something I threw together because I was sick of seeing multiple copies of Jupiter, but missed having the correct images in my last game where I used Tarran's image pack which did away with them entirely.
Note that Aurora doesn't really handle planet images in Sol very well, by default mars and Titan share an image, and several large planets use images which should be asteroids or chunks, so no matter what you do with default images you'll find various planets in sol will become incorrect.
The solution I've decided upon is to remove all of the solar systems planets from the default planetjpeg folder, this way only new planets will be randomly generated for the galaxy which prevents suspension of disbelief due to seeing jupiter or something in a random alien system.
Of course you probably want to have the correct images available for bodies in our solar system, so they are in a separate package.
A few points about the way aurora handles the planetjpeg folder.
For random selection aurora only uses the following images.
Ast.jpg, a1-a10.jpg, b1-b19.jpg, h1-h3.jpg, ha1-ha6.jpg, gg1-gg10.jpg, m1-m23.jpg and o1-o7.jpg. Images after these won't be selected randomly, however they can be used manually.
Aurora only recognizes the final 3 characters of a planet image filename, so for instance if you select gg11.jpg aurora will search for g11.jpg and throw an error if it doesn't exist. The package contains an extra copy of this and gg10 in order to get around this.
The second package contains every major body in the solar system, they have been given their correct name in order to make it easy to find the desired image, however an extra copy of each planet is needed to get around the 3 character limitation.
The third package contains extra 'bonus' bodies which can be manually choosen if desired.
And finally the Jumbo package contains every image.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:00:59 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: Taranis

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: New Planet Images
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:12:41 PM »
Thanks, will try these out for my first 7.00 game!

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:19:18 PM »
Heres what the basic planetjpeg looks like:
Off-Topic: show

And the solar system images:
Off-Topic: show
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:41:30 AM by MarcAFK »
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Britich

• Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 02:58:52 AM »
Unfortunately for me my security flags the download as a potential threat as tinyupload have had some "this is a bad site" flags against it.  Probably just the MPAA being silly, but is there anywhere else you can upload it?
I know your files safe but I wont be able to download it even if I wanted to :(

The following users thanked this post: Haegan2005

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 06:22:15 AM »
I'll find somewhere else to upload it.
Edit: Uh, I think I can just upload them to the forum. lol
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:27:41 AM by MarcAFK »

Offline Britich

• Petty Officer
  • B
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:50:25 AM »
Youre a Trooper MarcAFK :)

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:57 AM »
I just discovered something that should be obvious, Aurora will only load images from the correct folder, if you use a subfolder or put them somewhere else you'll get an error and the game will close.
I had the extra images in another folder to make it easier to change the incorrect images for Mercury, the moon, Io, Europa, Titan and Pluto, as well as the other moons and asteroids.
However after reentering the system infomation window and clicking on Mercury I got an error "unable to find ury.jpg",
Upon reloading it also threw a error about "una,jpg", I had only changed Mercury and Luna so it was easy enough to fix, just renaming them to ury.jpg and una.jpg. So just a word of warning.

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »
It seems Aurora can't handle images with more than 3 characters in the name if you manually choose the picture, so if you generate a system using my planets v1 there will be an error for gg10, gg11, gg12, gg13, gg14, gg15 ,and gg16 if you manually select the pictures.
The solar system pack is basically unusable, and the jumbo pack will have errors with gg10, gg11, gg12, gg13, gg14, gg15 , gg16 AND ha10 and ha11 if manually choosen.
The fix is pretty simple, Aurora looks for an image named the last 3 letters of what you selected, so you need copies of the gas giants named g10, g11, g12, g13, g14,g15 and g16, the extra ha planets will just end up using the already existing a10 and a11.
For the solar system images I'll need to put in redundant copys of the images which are named the final 3 letters. This is a problem for certain images with similar names however, so I'll need to upload a new version of the pack with slightly renamed pictures, untill then I'll upload a fix.
I've attached a new version of the Solar system pack to the origonal post. It renames each image to end in a 3 letter code, then has extra copies of the planets with the code name.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:56:24 AM by MarcAFK »

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
Hope you don't mind me hijacking things a little but I went through and did the work for you. I combined all the packs into a usable game folder, and renamed things that needed doing. So no more gg10's or ha11's etc. In addition I stuffed a small "Sol-" prefix to all the full named sol objects to keep them all in one spot when your looking through and redoing the game images. One problem I did notice though, when I started a new game with this folder Aurora seemed to decide it was picking random files for the gas giants. The problem though came with the fact it actually wanted files named "gg". This meant that I had errors and crashes as I only had "g" versions. Are you 100% sure that Aurora has a fit with more than 3 figures in a name and not more than 4?

Here is the total pack so you can see what I mean, if you try to start a new game with this you get errors as it will not find files names "gg".

https://www.mediafire.com/?5ap6vbubqgzzgvq

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
In my game at least aurora will happily use the correctly prefixed files of more than 3 character length, but only when randomly selected.
When manually selected it only remembers the final 3 characters and throws the error.
In addition to this there's a minimum requirement to have the images that aurora expects to find, you need at least 10 a files etc, but if you put more they'll be used .
Take a look at the default folder, you need at least the same image names as already exist there.

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 08:46:26 PM »
Nice to see some people still bother with planet images. I had thought the lack of comments on my thread meant that not many people cared. Or maybe everyone just used the portable installer and ignored my thread. Hard to say.

I've linked this thread from mine since I haven't bothered with it for a while, and mentioned it in the portable installation comments thread. With luck, you may see your pack spread far and wide from now on. Possibly even wider than my own.

No pressure. :P

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:33 PM »
Steve's open to replacing the default planet images, I'm just waiting untill I have them all properly attributed so theres no potential legal issues. Nasa are good but my current pack does steal from other questionable sources.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:30 PM »

Offline MarcAFK (OP)

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
Look at http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/87720/Planetary-Stockart-BUNDLE?filters=0_2893_0_0_0

License is "Do whatever you want"
Interestingly the barren pack there are just modified solar system images which don't seem to attribute the original source, the other packs are nice too, but I think I need to find images that aesthetically match the real planets.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Interestingly the barren pack there are just modified solar system images which don't seem to attribute the original source, the other packs are nice too, but I think I need to find images that aesthetically match the real planets.

I didn't mean for the solar system :)