Author Topic: Screenshots published so far  (Read 57086 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
Screenshots published so far
« on: March 20, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
This is a locked thread for anyone wanting to look at screenshots without the comments

I'm created this thread to show a few screenshots of C# Aurora as I progress. I have made a lot of progress on the Tactical Map and while it isn't finished, there is enough to provide some idea of what C# Aurora will look like. Bear in mind this is only one window and this is just displaying the current database, not running a turn. However, you could run this alongside Aurora and use it to view the map (which is what I am doing now). All the various display options work so you can toggle on and off.

Also all the systems, fleets, etc are loaded in memory so the swap between systems views is now instant.

The following users thanked this post: Shadow, Xeno The Morph, Liyannis

• Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Screenshots published so far
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »
Here are some of the sidebar views. I believe they are improved on current Aurora. Clicking on any Fleet, Ship, Star, System body, etc. will centre the map on that location. The military view can be used to view the forces in the system, or all forces. This is also instant as everything is in memory.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
SM Mode and Auto Turns are now shown as a crystal ball and on/off switch in the tool bar - this makes it easier to see when they are on/off.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:50:51 PM »
And a couple of Sol system shots

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »
Another screenshot. This is the contacts sidebar tab on the Tactical Map. The top half allows you to filter contacts on the tactical map. I've replaced the existing filter dropdown for relationship status with individual check boxes for Hostile/Neutral/Friendly/Allied/Civilian. The other check boxes are similar to existing Aurora. The Spacetime Bubble only appears in the check box list when SM Mode is on.

The lower half displays all known contacts broken down by alien race and system. This can be filtered for the current system only. I'll create a larger and more customisable version of this section for the Intelligence window.

BTW there are two race dropdowns in the sidebar. The first is always present and replaces the existing default race selection from the (now defunct) menu bar. Essentially, this dropdown changes the race view for the whole application. The second race dropdown (below systems) only appears in SM mode and contains a list of other races with knowledge of the current system. For both race dropdowns, if you select a race and it has knowledge of the current system, that system will automatically be selected for viewing.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:34 PM »
Two more screenshots. This is the Body Info tab of the sidebar, which shows details of any selected system body. It looks a lot cleaner than the original and now includes mineral deposits as well.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »
Active Sensors and Weapon ranges are now functional on the tactical map display. I've decided to change the colours and use dashed lines so they stand out more vs. the planetary orbits.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 12:37:00 PM »
The first screenshot of the new class design window. Class design is now working within C# Aurora and as you can see, the class window has undergone a more radical overhaul than the tactical window. The main differences are:

1) All class types are now shown on the left in a tree view, organised by hull type. You can filter obsolete and civilian designs
2) Available Components are also in a tree view, organised by component type. You can open and close sections as needed. Scrollbars will appear if needed. You add new components using this tree by double-clicking (amount based on radio-button selection).
3) You can flip between available components and components in the current design (see second screenshot). You remove components using this tree.
4) Instead of showing a line of details for each component, clicking on the component (in either Race or Class lists) shows a more detailed description in the lower centre.
5) The box to the right of the component description box is for design errors.
6) Any green text is editable, so you can change armour and deployment time, plus adjust the range bands and tracking speeds used to show the capabilities of beam weapons and beam fire controls.
7) A list of ships in the class is shown in the lower right. There will be a much more detailed list on another tab.
8) Many of the VB6 text boxes no longer exist on this view, either because they have been removed because they duplicate the main display, are no longer necessary, have been handled differently (lack of power is now a design error) or moved to a different tab (showing the crew calculation) because they are less important. This allows a much cleaner view with only the required information.

There are a few minor changes to class design.
1) Ships are no longer rounded to the nearest hull space
2) Range Modifiers are shown in full rather than a number. So in the case of this ship, a range modifier of 30,000 km means the weapon has a range of Max Damage x Range Modifier. The range was always calculated this way but not shown as obviously on the display
3) Internal HTK has been added to the display next to armour and shields
4) 'Damage Control Rating' is now DCR
5) The 'To Hit' chances (in the display) for beam fire controls are based on the Range Bands and Target Speed set on the right side of the window
6) Beam Weapon damage fall-off (in the display) is based on the selected Range Bands.

This window is still a work in progress but the design-related work is mostly complete. The results of class design (with the above exceptions) are matching VB6 Aurora. I need to add some other tabs, including fighter and ordnance assignment, more detailed component information, rank assignment, etc.. I'll post screenshots as I complete them.

One other interesting advantage of C# Aurora is that I have separated the data from the display, which means you can have multiple class design windows open at once :)

The following users thanked this post: Bisc8

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 10:40:56 AM »
Another screenshot of the class design window, showing the assignment of ordnance and fighters and a more detailed component breakdown. This combines the functionality of two tabs from the VB6 version. Fighters / Ordnance is added and removed by double-clicking.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:42:32 AM by Steve Walmsley »

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 03:01:30 PM »
The ship list tab of the class design window. I've added a variety of ways to sort the ships in the class.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 03:32:27 PM »
The first screenshot of the new Economics window. I've done quite a lot of work on the backend for this window but not much of the UI yet. Here is the summary tab - still a work in progress but enough to provide a good idea of the final version.

There are quite a few additional items of information, particularly in the new third column.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 05:00:06 AM »
The Industry tab of the economics window. It's similar to the original except I have removed the fuel production and will add it to a different tab. I may also add an option here to see all production, not just for the selected pop.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 03:13:11 PM »
First screenshot of the Shipyard tab. Similar in function to the VB6 equivalent but with a lot more room to display the shipyard list. I've tried to be more space conscious for the upgrade and shipyard task sections, which allows for the extra room. The blank button on the bottom is a disabled "Refit Details" button. I'll show another screenshot where it is enabled.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 03:20:15 PM »
Another shipyard screenshot, this time with an Upgrade task selected.

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
This shipyard tab screenshot shows the refit details section activated. This is toggled on/off by the Refit Details button and displays a breakdown of a proposed refit task.