Author Topic: Hull sice and jumpdrive  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Rogtuok (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
Hull sice and jumpdrive
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
been reading in C# about jumpin engiens. and im not totaly in the loop about that thing. Butr from my understanding you need a jump engien of 10 k to jump a 10 k ship. and you can with some drives take a buddy with you. But what hapends if that buddy is 10050 tonage. Jump will not work. can you not implement something that will make it able to take that 10050 or even a litle lagrer size whip with him. but at the expence of dubble the fuel and time of jump and a high chance of the hole jumpdrive actualy blowing up when the ship has made the jump and maby even other damages to other ships in fleet and jumpship.

"" engineer ""Dame haulers made a groce miscalulation of thous extra madresses the install in the cabins and was actualy over weighted and they blew ower jumpdrive.""

"" Engineer to captin "" We are now stranded here in this system untill we can get a tug out here or get a repair replaicment jumpdrive and i bet thous exon guys are out ther and headin ower way"

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
Re: Hull sice and jumpdrive
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Sounds like that would just complicate things without adding much to the game. I think it would be rare that you are that desperate to cram just a little bit more capacity out of a jump drive. I think it is cleaner as it is now, there is a hard limit and above it you simply cannot jump.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »
It does sound like it would need more work to a system that is fine as it is, and it could cause greater issues. If you had carefully laid out a rescue operation or any deployment where fuel was a factor then it could suddenly get ruined by a single jump throwing all of your calculations out of balance.

Keep it as a hard limit and jumps with multiple ships and one drive will simply be the c# version of clicking fire missiles on an empty magazine.

Offline ryuga81

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:49:52 AM »
Well, I usually design ships with standardized sizes (2000/4000/8000/12000t etc) so I definitely wouldn't need this, but I suppose that most players do the same, so you won't find ships with minimal size differences (if one of my ship designs ends up with 12050t, and I know my jump tender supports 12000, I'll rework it so it falls under 12000).

Changing this would be quite an unnecessary complication.

Iranon

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
Giving a little leeway would change nothing but making things more opaque... it wouldn't be obvious whether my 12000t jump drive can jump 12050t or 12100t or whatever else may be there.

If we introduce leeway, it should be something a bit more open but also that doesn't encourage abusing a "silent reserve": Longer jump blindness, chance of component malfunctions (jump engine, overweight ship or both?), chance of destabilising the fabric of reality and creating a black hole or wormhole...

Many cool things that could be done if want to, but a "convenience" feature that's actually inconvenient when you think about it doesn't seem right.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »
Alternatively, you could make squadron jump capacity based off of the jump drive rather than the tonnage of the mothership.  Then you could just bring jump drives that are slightly larger than needed.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
You would get some weird things going on then, like parasite jump frames consisting of a jump drive, a bridge, and a single engine that you dump out of hangar bays when you need em.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:01:30 AM »
As I understand it, there isn't anything fundamentally wrong with that.  Its not like thats particularly efficient, at least in cases where you only want to jump the mothership.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
My 2¢. Maybe modifying the jump engines to instead have a total tonnage limit instead of a "rating". Or possibly adding that as a secondary jump method to the game, or even adding more methods to give some additional diversity to the game. No idea what those other methods could be to still fit with current game mechanics, but what do you guys think?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.