Author Topic: Modding This Version Of Aurora  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Hydrofoil

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Modding This Version Of Aurora
« on: June 26, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »
Hi question for @Steve Walmsley How moddable will this version of aurora be? Will i be able to go into some of the source code and add in my own feature and mechanics or things like that?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
    • View Profile
Re: Modding This Version Of Aurora
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »
I might have skimmed through relevant information in the various C# discussion threads, but for the life of me I can't find it now so I'm bumping this topic.
Will the interface, background, fonts, theme etc be easily (within limits) moddable?
I just came across the star trek LCARs screensaver and it reminded me that some people might like custom interfaces based on whatever empire theme they're running.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Admiral of the Fleet
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starfireassistant.com
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 04:54:23 AM »
I might have skimmed through relevant information in the various C# discussion threads, but for the life of me I can't find it now so I'm bumping this topic.
Will the interface, background, fonts, theme etc be easily (within limits) moddable?
I just came across the star trek LCARs screensaver and it reminded me that some people might like custom interfaces based on whatever empire theme they're running.

It won't be moddable in the same sense as Skyrim or XCOM. It would be possible (probable) to have different background and text colours. Fonts are trickier because they aren't all the same length for the same text, which can screw up the UI (in he past I have worked on multi-lingual products and you run into a similar problem with layouts). For a commercial product, it would be possible (for example) to go through all the potential fonts and ensure the UI can cope with any of the variations. For a hobby project, it would use a lot of time that I could spend on more interesting areas.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »
Well. If i could make minor changes with a hex editor and some kind of raw extractor which may or may not require someone who knows what they're doing to construct ill be fine with that.
It was good enough for my quickly abandoned X-com (the original) Stargate mod project.
At least the pistols looked different :/
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51