Author Topic: Infinity overhaul  (Read 1995 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Infinity overhaul
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:59:13 AM »
It has been about a year since i played last but when i built fighters and assigned them to a carrier or fighter base they started clocking up time.   I thought when landed and assigned they did not.   when i clicked overhaul they appear to be in infinity overhaul and i cannot get them out.  I can launch them, land them, reassign them but they remain on overhaul.   I have tried giving the order to abandon overhaul or give their motherships the order to abandon overhaul (they have 0 hours clocked being 'docked' but the fighters remain under 'overhaul'

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
Re: Infinity overhaul
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
Maybe you should post this in the bug-reports forum. Sounds more like a bug to me.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:26:45 AM »
They will advance their clock when assigned to a ship.  Basically they will end up with the same deployment time as what their mother ship has.  But the program tracks their deployed time seperately so I can deploy a starslayer with 9 months on its clock and it doesn't immediately say "over my 0.3 month deployment time."  The same is true of their maintenance clock time.  I'm fairly sure that the docked parasites never break down.  I've gone over a year on my deployed carrier group without seeing any breakdowns on the starslayers attached to the carriers.  I have had other ships in the squadron have breakdowns.   And I could deploy my parasites for their full expected life without getting morale loss messages.

I agree it is blasted consfusing...it would be better if the parasite when launched reverted to a 0 deployment time and then re-acquired the time of the mother ship when it docked again.

I don't know about infinite loops for overhauls.  I've never seen that, but telling them to abandon the overhaul does take time.  But once you give something a "overhaul" command that tends to be the overriding command in my experience.   So what you are seeing isn't a surprise.  I'd suggest giving them the command abandon overhaul and advancing the time 5 days and then if they are still in overhaul then I'd think you have a bug.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
I think it takes about 3 months for a ship part way through overhaul to actually drop back into use after you have issued that order so probably need to advance time a while for the change to take effect.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:25:13 AM »
The NCC has ships in overhaul, this weekend I'll detach a ship and give the order to abandon it and let you know how long it takes before the overhaul is stopped.   I sure hope it is not 3 months!

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
The NCC has ships in overhaul, this weekend I'll detach a ship and give the order to abandon it and let you know how long it takes before the overhaul is stopped.   I sure hope it is not 3 months!
IIRC it is one month.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:44:00 AM »
I had them on overhaul for months.... they finished rewinding the clock but never left overhaul status nomatter if I canceled it or not.   I ended up deleting them and rebuilding them.   I never now overhaul them i just assign them to a fighter base or carrier and then the clocking is fine.

Offline DIT_grue

• Lieutenant
  • D
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:17:25 AM »
It has been about a year since i played last but when i built fighters and assigned them to a carrier or fighter base they started clocking up time.   I thought when landed and assigned they did not.   when i clicked overhaul they appear to be in infinity overhaul and i cannot get them out.  I can launch them, land them, reassign them but they remain on overhaul.   I have tried giving the order to abandon overhaul or give their motherships the order to abandon overhaul (they have 0 hours clocked being 'docked' but the fighters remain under 'overhaul'
I had them on overhaul for months.... they finished rewinding the clock but never left overhaul status nomatter if I canceled it or not.   I ended up deleting them and rebuilding them.   I never now overhaul them i just assign them to a fighter base or carrier and then the clocking is fine.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned yet that this is known behaviour - fighters are pretty much allergic to the overhaul mechanics, and since they're not supposed to be using them it hasn't been a priority for Steve to deal with. It's one of those things that you tend to see at least one thread like this per year, or mentions of, "Damn it, forgot again!" in a Chat thread. Best practice is actually your current procedure.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
I can confirm it requires around 20-30 days to break a ship out of overhaul.  I think it is closer to 20 but I'm not completely sure.  you can see it by giving the ship the order advancing time and seeing how long shows until it is complete.  I can confirm the clock is accurate.

The weird thing is that I put fighters into overhaul with their carriers and never see an issue (in the case of my pinnaces).  Looking at the 1st Aux Carrier Squadron I see the carriers and support ships undergoing a refit but the Starslayers (700 tonne FACs) and the auxiliaries (considered fighters for build/maintenance) are still docked and don't show any "overhaul" behind their names.  They all show a maintenance clock of 0.01 compared to the ships under overhaul which have 1.05 still to go.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:15 AM »
thanks! first time i played again for over a year.   so much to remember its easy to forget!   ;D