Author Topic: Using Hyperdrive  (Read 1730 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
Using Hyperdrive
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »
I've built my first Hyper-capable ships, and discovered that Hyperdrive can only be engaged while outside the mass-singularity of a star. My question is... once engaged, is that setting remembered so that the ship will always use Hyperdrive when outside the Hyper-limit (but not while inside, of course), or must I remember to toggle the setting on again every time my ship leaves the Hyper-limit of a star?

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Using Hyperdrive
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
I've built my first Hyper-capable ships, and discovered that Hyperdrive can only be engaged while outside the mass-singularity of a star. My question is... once engaged, is that setting remembered so that the ship will always use Hyperdrive when outside the Hyper-limit (but not while inside, of course), or must I remember to toggle the setting on again every time my ship leaves the Hyper-limit of a star?

Every time; it will autodeactivate when you go back inside the hyper-limit.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
People have wanted an "auto-hyper" function, it was mentioned several times on different threads when I was finding out what hyperdrive is.  Seems most people utilize waypoints to control hyperdrive, "move to waypoint, engage hyper, move to waypoint, disengage, pick up minerals, move to waypoint, engage, move to waypoint, disengage, drop minerals, etc."  Obviously this gets to be a hassle, and LP's are much preferred, but when you've got a mineral rich world on a binary system, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »
Hi, Girlinhat... I assume that this is the Dwarven Scientist GIH.

What is the general opinion on Hyperdrive Engines? It seems to me that they are useful for civilian ships (Colonizers and Freighters) right from the start, but only useful on Military ships once you've teched up far enough that the extra bulk doesn't impact your power-to-weight ratio too badly... say, somewhere around 1.4-to-1 or 1.2-to-1.

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »
Hi, Girlinhat... I assume that this is the Dwarven Scientist GIH.

What is the general opinion on Hyperdrive Engines? It seems to me that they are useful for civilian ships (Colonizers and Freighters) right from the start, but only useful on Military ships once you've teched up far enough that the extra bulk doesn't impact your power-to-weight ratio too badly... say, somewhere around 1.4-to-1 or 1.2-to-1.

Well, for ships dedicated to operating outside the hyperlimit or in a binary system; theyre great. They completely mix up the usual combat balance when used, which can be a big advantage. The problem with them is a) hyperlimits are way too far out and b) as far as I know, the NPRs dont use them, and hence they feel like a cheat =/

Offline Antagonist

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:15:32 AM »
I don't use them at all, simply because of the extra layer of micromanagement.

If I have a particularly rich binary system and the JP is around the wrong star, I am more willing to move the JP than to start using hyperdrive.  A cheat yes, but far more practical for my sanity.

Offline Girlinhat

• Lieutenant
  • G
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
A hyperdrive survey ship is often good to have.  My current (very small) game has three or four stars with a binary and no Lagrange.  Getting out there to even see it will take new engine tech with hyperdrive!