Author Topic: Empty System?  (Read 2094 times)

Offline Kraftwerk (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
Empty System?
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
Hi, just started playing Aurora, have managed to go through my only jump point from Sol to another system.  When I get there, appears to be empty, other than 2 sets of asteroids that cause errors when I click on them in the Bodies tab.

I have Active, EM, Thermal and Grav sensors on two ships there.  All I can see are survey locations, that appear to require 297 SPs to survery.

Is my game just boned, as I dont have anywhere to go but Sol? Is my new system actually empty or are my sensors not good enough? Do I have to wait 297 years? Or get together enough ships with 297 SPs to see if theres planets or another jump point? What have I missed here?

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
Re: Empty System?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »
You're not missing anything. Occasionally the game will generate a deep-space gravity nexis with no stars, which is what it sounds like you found. Just continue gravitational surveys and hope for better luck on the next system you jump to.

Also, the survey of a survey point will take no more than 297 hours, not years. A single Grav-sensor generates 1 SP point per hour.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »
I apologize if I am wrong, but it sounds like you think you need a ship capable of doing 297 points in one go, this isn't the case, the more grav sensors you have on a ship the faster it goes, but you only really need one. You will need to have your grav survey ships start going through the locations, you can do this by looking in the special orders tab of the task group window, from there go to the drop down menu next to primary orders and select "Survey nearest survey location" The ships will head to the nearest survey point and begin working, generating however many survey points they have available (usually one per grav sensor unless you have advanced that research)  per hour. Then they will automatically go to the next one.

System surveys tend to take a few months to a year depending on how large they are and how many ships you have.

Offline Kraftwerk (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
Sounds like I need to do a bit more searching around then.  I guess the inner "ring" of survey locations is best to start with, working your way outward? Or I guess if im trying to find the next jump point I should start with the outer ring?

Offline dgibso29

• Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
It doesn't matter where you start; Each location has the same chance of being a JP as the others. Either manually order your grav survey vessels to survey each location, or set up the conditional order to "Survey next 3 System Locations."

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
Empty solar systems with no planets and often no asteroids are semi-common.  Just scan it for jump points and the systems beyond will likely have plenty of real estate for you to explore.

Did Sol only have one JP or were there others to explore?

Offline Kraftwerk (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 12:48:51 PM »
One one jump point sadly.  Im playing with no AI NPR (yet) so ive got time to correct my mistakes in my first game.

Got to admit it was a shock to see nothing lol im used to other space 4x games like Space Empires, where going through that first WP gives you a view of the system.

Offline Kraftwerk (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • K
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
After some effort I found another jump point, went through, and low and behold, discovered a planet.

Thanks everyone.