Author Topic: Super slowdown for six game months?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Griswel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
Super slowdown for six game months?
« on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
I ran into the Star Swarm in a system contiguous to Sol, and being the amazing Aurora player that I am, sent a task force in which was completely annihilated.  I've played two decades, and explored a few dozen systems, so it's not early.  However, ever since my suicide mission, every attempt to move time more than 8 hours produces "this will be #### subpulses" and month long turns take 5 full minutes.  I have no ships in the system, and I pulled back from the warp point (my side) to the nearby system and the one leading to a far off system with the same race, so I don't see combat, with me anyway, being imminent.  I turned off sensors in the nearby swarm system.  I have no precursers, no robots, though I did put in a couple/few/Iforget spoilers.  More than one.  I'm in 6.43 and I deleted the scenario before I started.  I'm using a subfolder on the desktop, but that never slowed me down before (it's so I can use this separate folder's game, not the main Stevefire), and certainly didn't cause the subpulses.

It seems really unlikely that other races are in constant combat for all this time.  I went to SM mode to look at the reports but only I show up (that might be normal, just saying).

It's tough to progress at 86400 subpulses a pop while I try to build up something less thoroughly incompetent to take on the swarm.  I apparently cannot delete them, which was tempting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
Re: Super slowdown for six game months?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:29 PM »
Check that your subpulse length is set to automatic.

Offline Whitecold

• Commander
  • W
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 01:42:34 AM »
Do you have any NPR's? Destroyed ships shouldn't cause any slowdown, but if an NPR decided to fight something, that could be the reason.

Offline Griswel (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • G
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »
Check that your subpulse length is set to automatic.

And the winner is ... Griswel is an idiot.  Or at least unaware of the impact of that button (I never hit it on purpose, but I was in the 30second vicinity when I was fighting and must have hit the wrong row).

Do you have any NPR's? Destroyed ships shouldn't cause any slowdown, but if an NPR decided to fight something, that could be the reason.

I'd thought of that, which is why I let things go six game months, thinking there's no way they could be fighting constantly for that long.  Or if they were, I'd really like to see it.

I guess I need to recognize the "this is elevnty-billion subpulses" means I accidentally set the subpulse.

Thanks for your quick responses.