Author Topic: Fuel Harvester and tanker  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Traveler (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
Fuel Harvester and tanker
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
After searching I thought I'd found a solution for my problem of how to transfer fuel from my FH at Saturn back to Earth but it does not seem to be working.

In the class dessign for both my FH and my TK (tanker) I've checked the Tanker check box.

1. I've ordered the TK to "unload 90% of it's fuel on Earth".(works)
2. I've ordered the TK to "refuel from own tankers-Saturn" (doesn't work)

The TK gets to the FH and turns right around for Earth without taking on any fuel.  It's not full, it only has 28,000 fuel.  The FH has 98,0000 fuel.
I can't figure out what is amiss.

Offline clement

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • c
Re: Fuel Harvester and tanker
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Ordering the TK to "refuel from own tankers-Saturn" means, when at Saturn refuel from tankers in your task group.

To do what you are trying to do you should do the following:
1. Order TK task group to "unload 90% of it's fuel on Earth"
2. Order TK task group to refuel from FH task group

Mark that to repeat forever and you should be good to go. You can put those orders in in either order and it will work.

Offline Traveler (OP)

• T
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:44:03 PM »
Thanks Clement.
I don't find any orders available to direct the TK Task Group to refuel from the FH Task Group.

Offline Shaitan

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
You'll need to select the checkbox above the order lists to show taskgroups, then, from the tanker group, select the FH group that should now be visible near the bottom of the destinations list.

Offline Traveler (OP)

• T
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:58:37 PM »
Thanks mate.  Seems so obvious now that you pointed it out. :)

Offline BobS

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:19 PM »
Quote from: clement link=topic=5709. msg58597#msg58597 date=1354835667
Ordering the TK to "refuel from own tankers-Saturn" means, when at Saturn refuel from tankers in your task group.

To do what you are trying to do you should do the following:
1.  Order TK task group to "unload 90% of it's fuel on Earth"
2.  Order TK task group to refuel from FH task group

Mark that to repeat forever and you should be good to go.  You can put those orders in in either order and it will work.

Sorry to necro an old post but I have the same problem as the original poster and this solution doesn't work for me.

I have a harvester sitting at Saturn 100% full.  The only option I can find to do #1 is "unload 90% fuel at nearest colony within 4 jumps" (this is a "conditional order" It was the only one that looked remotely like the one quoted above. . . ).  

For #2- From the TK grp, I select the harvester from the "available locations" list.  However, I DON'T get an option to refuel from the harvester grp.  The only option I get is "refuel target fleet" or "refuel from own tankers".  ( I tried doing the actions separately, trying the "unload order" first but nothing happened).

Any idea where I went wrong ?

Any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT:
Wow, I know i looked for "unload 90% fuel to colony" a hundred times!!! Of course, I find it after I post this...

Still, I don't have an option to " refuel from harvester". My TK is still at Earth but with 10% fuel. How do I get it to refuel from the harvester?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:08:54 PM by BobS »

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
Declare the Fuel harvester to be a tanker itself, and you can issue a refuel from taskgroup order with the FH TG as a target.

Offline BobS

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »
How do I "declare the harvester to be a tanker"????

And why won't it refuel from the harvester?

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
1)Click the Tanker tickbox on the design screen for the fuel harvester.
2)Its not defined as a tanker yet.

Offline BobS

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
Hmmm, ok, I'll try that.

In the mean time I tried the "refuel from own tankers" option. The plotted move reads, " refuel from own tankers fuel harvester"...

Between this and your suggestion, I'm pretty confused.

Alas, nothing to do but try...

thanx for your help. Nathan :)

Offline BobS

• Leading Rate
  • B
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
What do ya know...It worked !!! :D

I gotta tell you tho: I don't think I would ever have thought of that. I mean...a harvester isn't a tanker f' fraks sakes....

Anyways, thanx Nathan. You saved my game :)

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Anyways, thanx Nathan. You saved my game Smiley
no problem.

In the mean time I tried the "refuel from own tankers" option. The plotted move reads, " refuel from own tankers fuel harvester"...
Refuel from own tankers means that the taskgroup should refuel from tankers within that taskgroup, at the location specified, not that it should refuel from any tankers in any TG at that location, so in this case it means that you moved to the fuel harvester, and attempted to refuel from your own tanker, not the harvester.

a harvester isn't a tanker f' fraks sakes....
Ship design is pretty modular, you can make whatever kind of ship you want and aurora doesn't care. Though for ordering purposes, anything that wants to move around(via the f12 taskgroup orders page) fuel has to be a tanker, Maintenance supplies a supply ship, and missile ordnance a collier. It is possible to manually transfer everything yourself from any ship to any other ship via the individual ship display(F6).