Author Topic: Building Satellites  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Daniel_Dorn (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Building Satellites
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
How do I design satellites that dont have any crew so they have unlimited deployment time? I wanna set some unmanned satellites with sensors around jump points to detect incoming ships.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Building Satellites
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
missile with sensors and no warhead.  Drop engine and fuel and it's just a buoy/satellite.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Daniel_Dorn (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Charlie Beeler link=topic=6179. msg63162#msg63162 date=1370029554
missile with sensors and no warhead.   Drop engine and fuel and it's just a buoy/satellite.

And do I need to design a launcher with fire control or can I simply load it up in a cargo bay and drop it at a location?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:13:36 PM »
You will need a launcher and some very basic fire control.  My normal suggestion is to set the resolution for what you consider a capital ship to be and leave it at size 1.  It won't cost much, and it gives you some extra fire power on occasion. 

Also your satellite will not have indeffinite endurance.  There is a limit based on the power plant you put in it.  It will tell you what that limit is and it is easy to get several years endurance so changing the out is not a horrible problem.

If you really want any sort of sensor platform that you can just leave there without worrying, use a civilian ship with no engines.  It can be very small and only have a few people on board.  No maintenance and the morale is not a real issue as it is civilian design. 

Brian

Offline Daniel_Dorn (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:55:09 PM »
Quote from: Brian link=topic=6179. msg63164#msg63164 date=1370031216
You will need a launcher and some very basic fire control.   My normal suggestion is to set the resolution for what you consider a capital ship to be and leave it at size 1.   It won't cost much, and it gives you some extra fire power on occasion.  

Also your satellite will not have indeffinite endurance.   There is a limit based on the power plant you put in it.   It will tell you what that limit is and it is easy to get several years endurance so changing the out is not a horrible problem.

If you really want any sort of sensor platform that you can just leave there without worrying, use a civilian ship with no engines.   It can be very small and only have a few people on board.   No maintenance and the morale is not a real issue as it is civilian design.  

Brian

Sounds like a prison ship for immortal people.  Can I carry civilian ships inside of military ships?

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 04:34:21 AM »
Also your satellite will not have indeffinite endurance.  There is a limit based on the power plant you put in it.  It will tell you what that limit is and it is easy to get several years endurance so changing the out is not a horrible problem.
Where can you see that limit?

I can only see engine endurance which ofcourse is not relevant and 0min for an engine-less buoy.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »
Brian, that was prior to v6.  With the missile design changes for v6 the buoy endurance based on reactor was dropped.  Steve was considering a random event generator to disable/kill older systems, but I don't recall that it's gone anywhere past the comment in the v5.7/v6.0 changes thread.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 10:51:49 AM »
Thanks, I had forgotten that change.

Brian

Offline Starfyre

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »
Quote from: Daniel_Dorn link=topic=6179. msg63161#msg63161 date=1370027746
How do I design satellites that dont have any crew so they have unlimited deployment time? I wanna set some unmanned satellites with sensors around jump points to detect incoming ships. 

not always possible, but depending on where the waypoint is sometimes you can just drop a few deep space tracking stations on a nearby planet/asteroid.   It might not show you whenever a survey ship comes through, but if there's any big fleet movements you'll know.   Civvie ships can also be carried inside hangars, last I checked, which was admittedly a long while back.   I had a design that was basically just a size one thermal and EM sensor with just barely enough other stuff to keep it civilian.   A whole 250t for the package.   In 6. x I swapped them out for a 1000ton picket ship that was basically just a size six thermal sensor glued to a jumpdrive and enough engineering bays to keep it running for the next thirty years.   I'd build a dozen of them, stuff them near jumppoints, and forget about them until maintnence failures started cropping up a decade later.   The unlimited bouys added were nice, but they stayed in one place, and a ship that small with a thermal passive that big made a dandy scout for poking into potentially hostile systems.   generally you would see any hostile ships on thermals long before you got into their active sensor range, and since they typically had a thermal output of 60-80, the enemy generally wasn't able to return the favor.