Author Topic: Terraforming questions  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Gump (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • G
Terraforming questions
« on: June 01, 2013, 06:20:29 AM »
1.  How do I reduce the oxygen athmospheric presure on a planet?
I am using the default species environmental tolerances.  I found a 2.0 colony cost planet with all the minerals represented, 34.7'C with an oxygen & nitrogen athmosphere;
Nitrogen 81% 2.1623atm
Oxygen 19% 0.5072atm
Total pressure 2.6695
As I understand how the colony cost is calculated its the 0.5072atm of oxygen that is causing the 2.0 cost.  How do I bring the presure of oxygen down to atleast 0.3atm?

2.  Terraforming Installations versus Terraforming Space Stations.
I do not see ther benefit of building ships with terraforming modules (and no engines) over building ground based terraforming installations.  One needs to be hauled arround by cargo ships, the other by tugs.  One requires construction factories to build, the other shipyards.  Those two factors seem to benefit the ground abse installations to me.  What are the advantages of terrafroming space stations

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
Re: Terraforming questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 06:38:55 AM »
Those two factors seem to benefit the ground abse installations to me.  What are the advantages of terrafroming space stations
They require no population to operate, but a small ship crew is enough.

Offline Varee

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • V
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:52:05 AM »
Afaik you need to add more "filler"gas to get the oxygen pressure down you cant remove gases

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
Afaik you need to add more "filler"gas to get the oxygen pressure down you cant remove gases
You certainly can remove gasses, that is the default direction when terraforming, you have to mark the checkbox if you want to add gas. You are also confusing oxygen pressure with oxygen percentage, which are separate required values(oxygen pressure between the races limits and oxygen percentage of 30% or lower).

You bring down the oxygen pressure by selecting oxygen from the dropdown on the Enviroment tab, enter the desired oxygen level in the max atmosphere box, in this case 0.3, and hit the "save atm" button. It will proceed to remove some of the oxygen each construction tick until it reaches/drops below the max atmosphere you specified. You obviously need to have terraforming facilities or ships with terraforming modules present at the colony before the gas levels will start changing however.

The reason many use terraforming platforms/ships instead of facilities can be seen if you look at their costs.

Terraforming Facility - 300 Duranium, 300 Boronide, 0.25 million workers +infrastructure for workers
Tarraforming Module - 250 Duranium, 250 Boronide +other ship components.
As ship size increases the other components take up a smaller percentage until they become fairly negligible. The workers and infrastructure for them however remains at a fixed percentage.

You also have to expend much more fuel moving facilities via freighters in the multiple trips required than in the single trip to move a terraforming ship/platform.

The primary advantage to terraforming facilities is that you don't have to wait for a shipyard to become large enough to build your ship/platform and it doesn't tie up a shipyard.