Author Topic: Mineral uses (2.1)  (Read 785 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Mineral uses (2.1)
« on: September 20, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
In the 'Understanding Aurora Economy' topic, I looked for summaries of what the minerals are used for and found nothing up to date.  So I decided to make my own.  The reason being, I want to have a baseline of information so that when 2.2 comes out, I can just adjust for the changes that are there instead of starting from scratch. 

I've divided the uses into four categories: 

28 Installations (INS) - For now this doesn't include the Genetic Modification Centre since it doesn't have a purpose, but these are the facilities that are built in the Industry tab of Economics on a body. 
42 Standard Ship Components (SSC) - Components like Cargo Holds, Tractor Beams, and so forth that don't require the design process but come 'as-is'. 
28 Designed Ship Components (DSC) - Engines, Fire Controls, and others that have variable design specifications and require their own research. 
Missiles, Turrets, and Ground Units - They don't really fit into the other categories but minerals are still needed for them. 

Duranium - Half of Shipyard modification.  19 of 28 INS, 50% for those responsible for building things such as construction factories, shipyards, research facilities, etc.  Half of Infrastructure also, a third of Mass Drivers, 40% of MSP.  35 of 42 SSC, including early Armour, Cargo Holds, and Engineering Spaces.  25-50% of many of them.  11 of 21 DSC, typically about 20% of them.  Small amounts for turret gearing. 

Neutronium - 50% modifying Shipyards, 8 of 28 INS.  Shipyards, Construction Factories, Maintenance Facilities, Ground Force Construction Complexes. Also a third of mass drivers.  6 SSC; maintenance, repair, damage control, and troop transport.  Only 2 DSC: Magazines and Railguns.  Increasing % of Armour starting with Composite Armour.

Corbomite - 4 INS; 100% of Financial Centre costs, small amount of 3 others.  11 SSC.  100% of ECM and ECCM, most of the command and control components such as flag bridge, main engineering, etc.   2 DSC, all of Cloaking Devices and Shield Generators. 

Tritanium - 2 INS;  full cost of Ordnance Factories, small amount of Military Academies.  2 SSC; most of Commercial Magazines,  small part of Recreational Modules.  2 DSC;  75% of Missile Launchers and some in Magazines.  Variable amount for missiles.

Boronide - 10 INS.  100% of Fuel Refineries, almost half of Spaceports, half or more of Low Gravity Infrastructure, Ordnance Transfer Stations, Refuelling Stations, and Terraforming Installations.  11 SSC;  anything related to fuel storage or transfer incl. Sorium Harvesters, also Ordnance Transfer components and Terraforming Modules.  7 DSC, mostly 20% usage in various weapons, but also the sole mineral for Power Plants. 

Mercassium - 7 INS, usually as minority contributor.  50% of Research Facilities and Infrastructure.  7 SSC, Crew Quarters/Cryo Transport/Troop Transport, also most of Tractor Beams. 1 DSC - 50% share of Meson Cannons. 

Vendarite - 1 INS, all of Fighter Factories.  3 SSC;  Cargo Shuttle Bays and Hangar Decks.  2 DSC; all of Fighter Pod Bays and Gauss Cannons.  Full cost for training Ground Forces. 

Sorium - No INS, but the sole ingredient for Fuel.  1 SSC -  Jump Point Stabilization Modules.  1 DSC - 80% of Jump Engines.    Fuel is definitely the main concern. 

Uridium - 5 INS, including half of Deep Space Tracking Stations.  20% of MSP.  6 SSC, all of ELINT and both types of Survey Sensors, smaller role in Damage Control.  5 DSC, all of Active Sensors, Beam Fire Controls, EM Detection Sensors, and Thermal Sensors.  Also has a role in CIWS. 

Corundium - 5 INS, the only ingredient in all types of mines, half of Forced Labour Mining Camps.  1 SSC;  Orbital Mining Modules. 5 DSC - all energy weapons as the main ingredient, 60% of cost. 

Gallicite - No INS or SSC.  1 DSC - sole requirement for Engines, and 40% of MSP.  Variable amount for missiles. 

« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 03:40:48 AM by Bryan Swartz »

The following users thanked this post: Laurence, davidb86, Warer, Snoman314

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Mineral uses (2.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 12:42:11 PM »
I seem to recall hearing that as you tech up the cost of armor starts to switch from duranium to neutronium, but I don't think I ever checked.

Offline Navalgazer420XX

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • N
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 03:52:24 PM »
Neutronium is also used for regular ship armor (at least past a certain tech level), which ends up being a big user.

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 03:41:22 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out.  Neutronium starts getting used at Composite Armour (5k), so I've added that in.