Author Topic: New Trade System for v4.1  (Read 8958 times)

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: New Trade System for v4.1
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2009, 03:23:11 PM »
Is there a way to tell how much it costs a company to build a ship, if they ordered one and how long it will be before it is ready?

I had to do a bail-out for all my shipping lines and went into the database, upping their wallets. Some of them finally built a freighter and one of them has history of doing a run to Mars and back. 3 other companies have a ship too, and I can see them moving to Mars and back, but their history is blank.

I also have a new colony about 3 jumps away that they don't seem interested in. It has JG's the whole way there and back again, but it may be that the demand for infrastructure isn't there? Population is 0.36 and capacity is 0.65 I think.

Just recently it looks like a colony company just started up - which should be good! The other 5 companies are all freight.

I am nearly at 200 points with an NPR, hopefully I will get trade going with them - although they are in a Nebula :(

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:33 AM »
How do the companies decide which ship to build?  I have single commercial yard set to build frieghters and have noticed the last set of companies have built freighters (2 each and I have 2 slips on that yard).  I have also 3 companies in a death spiral as they are basically without capital to buy ships and and their share prices are down to 0.09 or so.  Should not they fold or something?  I would think that bankruptcy would make sense, no?

At the moment I have 3 shipping firms and 1 colony firm.  I just noticed that Val Thuhhl's trade window is showing a demand for things that my home world produces so hopefully they get moved over.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:39 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
In v4.1, the demand for infrastructure is based on population size so if there is no population there will be no infrastructure demand and the civilian freighters won't deliver any. Civilian colony ships will only deliver colonists to 0.0 worlds or worlds with sufficient infrastructure. What this means is that if the player wants civilian shipping to colonise a non-ideal world, the player will have to drop off either some colonists or some infrastructure to start the process.

But if you have a ruins site and infrastructure is recovered by your xeno team, then the civs go and dump colonists on it whether you want them too or not, at least they do in 4.1, not yet started 4.26. Is this still the same for 4.26 or have you deleted the chance to recover infrastructure?
No, you can still recover infrastructure in v4.26 so if a world can be colonised the civs will go ahead and do it. I think what may have changed since v4.1 though is that civs no longer try to colonise unsuitable worlds that have infrastructure.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2009, 06:09:05 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Is there a way to tell how much it costs a company to build a ship, if they ordered one and how long it will be before it is ready?

I had to do a bail-out for all my shipping lines and went into the database, upping their wallets. Some of them finally built a freighter and one of them has history of doing a run to Mars and back. 3 other companies have a ship too, and I can see them moving to Mars and back, but their history is blank.

I also have a new colony about 3 jumps away that they don't seem interested in. It has JG's the whole way there and back again, but it may be that the demand for infrastructure isn't there? Population is 0.36 and capacity is 0.65 I think.

Just recently it looks like a colony company just started up - which should be good! The other 5 companies are all freight.

I am nearly at 200 points with an NPR, hopefully I will get trade going with them - although they are in a Nebula :(
Civilian ships are insta-build. They don't have a lead time after they order, although in terms of game mechanics it doesn't really affect anything as a lead time can be assumed. They will build freighters about 2/3rd of the time and colony ships about 1/3rd of the time, although there is a random element to the decision. The cost for the ships is the same wealth cost as you would pay for the same design. The names of the shipping lines don't have any bearing on what they build. The infrastructure demand for a colony can be found on the Wealth/Trade tab. For a colonist destination the infrastructure demand is equal to the amount required for the current population plus 25%.

Steve

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Quote from: "Paul M"
How do the companies decide which ship to build?  I have single commercial yard set to build frieghters and have noticed the last set of companies have built freighters (2 each and I have 2 slips on that yard).  I have also 3 companies in a death spiral as they are basically without capital to buy ships and and their share prices are down to 0.09 or so.  Should not they fold or something?  I would think that bankruptcy would make sense, no?

At the moment I have 3 shipping firms and 1 colony firm.  I just noticed that Val Thuhhl's trade window is showing a demand for things that my home world produces so hopefully they get moved over.
See my previous post for details on build choices. I agree I do need to create some type of bankruptcy or insolvency situation.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »

See my previous post for details on build choices. I agree I do need to create some type of bankruptcy or insolvency situation.

Steve

Might I suggest that they offer the ships up for sale to the player? I haven't seen this option since the new shipping lines were put in. Also, maybe some random factor that offers one or more ships to another shipping line for a reduced price, if that other shipping line has the capital and income?

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:38 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"

Steve

Might I suggest that they offer the ships up for sale to the player? I haven't seen this option since the new shipping lines were put in. Also, maybe some random factor that offers one or more ships to another shipping line for a reduced price, if that other shipping line has the capital and income?
Or better yet, the ability to lease the ships for transporting facilities?
Adam.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 12:22:22 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Or better yet, the ability to lease the ships for transporting facilities?
Yes, that is a good idea and would reflect what happens in the real world. You would pay the lease fees and also lose out on tax revenue so it would be a real choice rather than an automatic decision.

Steve

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:49 AM »
I quickly rushed through a couple of tramp freighter designs (1 colony hold or 1 cargo hold) and my inital start up companies managed to each net a ship.  I then dumped (literally) 30K undesirables on the planet III and then the civillians took over and there is now a nice 1.3 million Draak population.  Plus 2 new firms have started up and there has been expansion of the civillian fleet.  Due to the small size of these ships they seem to be quite profitable.  The share prices range from $0.4x to $1.0x for the firm with the most ships.

I would suggest that the initial three firms don't need to pay dividends until they purchace ships (since presumably they will then be able to earn income).  Otherwise, in a conventional start they are pretty much doomed as it took some 8-9 years to get to this point.

The trouble is that I can't ship anything to the other planet except minearals, infrastructure and colonists.  Seems you need at least 5 cargo holds in the ship to pick up anything else.

((and yes I now have "backup_1 and backup_2" in my "backups" folder))

Offline backstab

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »
Does anyone know how to call up the Shipping Lines window ?????
Move foward and draw fire

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »
Quote from: "backstab"
Does anyone know how to call up the Shipping Lines window ?????

ctrl+l

or, on the system map - click on the 5th icon along the top, from the right (looks liked a graph behind static)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
The trouble is that I can't ship anything to the other planet except minearals, infrastructure and colonists.  Seems you need at least 5 cargo holds in the ship to pick up anything else.
Yes, multiples of 5 cargo holds are necessary for a lot of the larger items. I did a post that listed all of the various requirements for transport but I can't find it now. Anyone know its location?

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 04:41:42 PM »
Yes, multiples of 5 cargo holds are necessary for a lot of the larger items. I did a post that listed all of the various requirements for transport but I can't find it now. Anyone know its location?

Steve
There are some hold requirements listed in this thread - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1617&start=0&hilit=cargo+hold
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »

Steve

I'd like to take this opportunity to renew my request for being able to break down such installations into 1 hold's-worth.  Most important would be mines, auto-mines, and factories, of course.  At present, it's essentially impossible to colonize beyond the jump gate network (without building large numbers of engineers) - this breakdown would allow such colonization to take place while still maintaining the concept of "civilized core".

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
GUYS..srry..but BEFORE trading are MANY thing to make better.

Troops management,some strange bug into "npr check for missiles etc.etc..:)

my 2 cents