Author Topic: C# Aurora Changes Discussion  (Read 441989 times)

Offline Retropunch

• Petty Officer
  • R
Re: C# Aurora Changes Discussion
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=8497. msg99475#msg99475 date=1480768494
Not as things stand, but it wouldn't be hard to add a player option to name certain types of systems in certain ways.

I'd love this feature - even if it was just systems with no planets or a rather arbitrary set of circumstances.  Keeping track of everything in Aurora is one of the things that slows down fun play, and so anything to allow the player to get on with things would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #451 on: December 13, 2016, 01:50:12 AM »
It also neatly explains why projectile weapon damage falls off with range, which shouldn't really happen if the projectiles are in a vacuum.
I thought this was already explained for the same reason that ships need constant fuel use to keep moving - that trans newtonian materials act like they are moving through some sort of medium even in a vacuum. Since the projectiles are likely made out of the densest materials possible so that they can penetrate duranium hulls they would also be trans-newtonian (neutronium I believe?).

Offline hiphop38

• Space Nazi
  • Leading Rate
  • h
« Reply #452 on: December 14, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
So call me a big fat Space ####, but I often like to rp my Aurora games with Slavery not only allowed, but state sponsored. Currently they only really work as big and difficult to transport construction brigades, and thus can only build installations/PDC.

It could be nice to have further rules for the idea of slavery in general. Perhaps it could be made so that the slaves can be brought to a planet with minimal to no infrastructure and act as a disposable population. That way they can man installations (Each unit costs 10,000 population to create, why not have them be 10,000 of population for labor as well), such as mines or terraforming installations. (does it make me evil to want the filthy xenos I crushed under my Jackbooted heel to serve me in defeat?)

I do like the idea of the forced labor units in creating a rich dark rp environment, I just wished for a bit more options with them.
That being said, they do still work rather nicely as the transportable construction factory, sans the infrastructure/building/population, that they currently are. If I am the only bastard evil enough to even use the FLU then so be it and I'll be content with Slavery as it currently stands.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #453 on: December 14, 2016, 04:56:14 PM »
An interesting thought, and one that would fit well with the 40k-ish theme of this update. The suggestion thread would have probably been a better place to post as there wasn't a change to the game dealing with them.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »
Some kind of conscript ground nit might be handy too, but the rules governing how to create them, their effect on morale and unrest etc, should be somewhat complex.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #455 on: December 15, 2016, 06:54:19 AM »
It could be nice to have further rules for the idea of slavery in general. Perhaps it could be made so that the slaves can be brought to a planet with minimal to no infrastructure and act as a disposable population. That way they can man installations (Each unit costs 10,000 population to create, why not have them be 10,000 of population for labor as well), such as mines or terraforming installations. (does it make me evil to want the filthy xenos I crushed under my Jackbooted heel to serve me in defeat?)

I don't think this makes alot of sense.

Unless you envision putting the slaves in expensive suits and educating them at the top universities so you can have them work at your financial centers and research labs as well...

So I think to work well your suggestion requires alot of other core game changes, like education levels or social classes of population to separate the lowest uneducated mining crews from the top elite.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #456 on: December 15, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
I think they could be restricted to only working in factories, mines, and terraforming installations. Possibly they could also contribute into the agricultural sector, freeing up your own population for services, intellectual jobs, and industry. He did report this in suggestions, so it may have been better to comment on that instance.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline NuclearStudent

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • N
« Reply #457 on: December 18, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
I'm leery if the proposed refueling changes. One of my prime frustrations with playing Distant Workds is that your fleets eventually get bogged down into annoying pile ups constantly waiting for fuel. That can be avoided by building enormous tanker chains, but because in DW automatic tanker supply chains can't be made, the late game bogs down into a tedium of manually ordering tankers to move around.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #458 on: December 18, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »
I'm leery if the proposed refueling changes. One of my prime frustrations with playing Distant Workds is that your fleets eventually get bogged down into annoying pile ups constantly waiting for fuel. That can be avoided by building enormous tanker chains, but because in DW automatic tanker supply chains can't be made, the late game bogs down into a tedium of manually ordering tankers to move around.
With the change you can;
A) Create massive orbital refinery stations with dozens of refueling systems.
B) Create a modular system where tugs can pick up refueling/tanker modules.
C) Manage your tankers via sub-fleets and conditional orders.
D) Simply do things as normal but make sure to have a few systems on your tankers/supply ships.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #459 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:17 AM »
Restricted fuel would not be too bad in a classic Sol start with no other NPRs on Earth. However I found in v6.43 if there are NPRs on Earth with the player race then while you can beat them to the first jump, to beat them the second is very difficult unless you sink all your tech points into fuel economy techs. Additionally the NPR exploration ships keep going and unless they run into something unpleasant youi can not catch them.
Ian
IanD

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #460 on: December 19, 2016, 06:27:35 AM »
Restricted fuel would not be too bad in a classic Sol start with no other NPRs on Earth. However I found in v6.43 if there are NPRs on Earth with the player race then while you can beat them to the first jump, to beat them the second is very difficult unless you sink all your tech points into fuel economy techs. Additionally the NPR exploration ships keep going and unless they run into something unpleasant youi can not catch them.
Ian

Couldn't there be some simple range limit at least in place to keep NPRs within reasonable ranges? For example NPRs are not allowed to enter JPs further away then X% of their max range from closest friendly colony? ( X being around 30-50% ).

The following users thanked this post: palu

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: December 19, 2016, 07:21:33 AM »
Can someone explain to me why slaves aren't represented in the "population" figure (as in, if you're RPing slavers why do you consider the population figure to be non-inclusive of slaves)?

Offline ryuga81

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »
Couldn't there be some simple range limit at least in place to keep NPRs within reasonable ranges? For example NPRs are not allowed to enter JPs further away then X% of their max range from closest friendly colony? ( X being around 30-50% ).

I believed there was some form of limitation (it would make sense), but i'm regularly seeing survey ships from friendly NPR at the other side of the galaxy, over 80bil from their nearest colony :/

Offline ryuga81

• Chief Petty Officer
  • r
« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »
Can someone explain to me why slaves aren't represented in the "population" figure (as in, if you're RPing slavers why do you consider the population figure to be non-inclusive of slaves)?

Population is directly calculated as "productive" units, part of them become highly trained personnel that can work in financial centers, research labs and such, so it makes sense that forced labor slaves are considered somewhat apart, they cannot simply "join" a population and become productive citizens. One can always RP that part of the population is made of "loyal slaves" that are allowed a certain degree of freedom and basic training, apart from "rebellious/uncontrollable slaves" that are to be closely guarded/segregated in mines and factories and cannot be allowed to access populated areas.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2016, 10:34:19 AM »
I believed there was some form of limitation (it would make sense), but i'm regularly seeing survey ships from friendly NPR at the other side of the galaxy, over 80bil from their nearest colony :/
Are you sure that there's not a JP link that they're using and you just haven't found yet?
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman